Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
Hope this isn't True!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2018-11-05 9:48 AM (#90541)
Master and Commander

Subject: Hope this isn't True!

This was posted on a site of mostly skimmers, but I'm not sure the current glowboats would be any different:

"Liberty for todays sailors is not really liberty as it was know 30 or more years ago when the bars were all over Westpac towns, todays sailors are restricted on their drinking, if they come back to the ship their breath is checked to see if they are ab
ove drunk or close to it, when the juniors leave the ship they have to have a liberty plan on where they are going if the want to change it, the have to call back to their department PO and advise them and get permission. They are not treated like sailor, they are treated more like children, hell a 18 year old dependent has a better time running around than the sailors do. SAD."

Does anyone know if there is any validity in this, also for a while sailors were restricted from going ashore in PI, Okinawa, and Japan.  I don't think I could look forward to a Westpac without the perks of liberty.

Ric
Posted 2018-11-05 9:53 AM (#90543 - in reply to #90541)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Hope this isn't True!

I have heard this too. Sad.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2018-11-05 11:54 AM (#90544 - in reply to #90541)
COMSUBBBS

This routine sure wasn't in my Navy but then you look the situations today. It's a me, me, me attitude and there are a ton of candy ass kids that don't know daylight from dark. Their parents haven't raised them to show respect or even the basic work ethics.
When we went on Liberty and got "smashed/wiped out" we knew we'd have to tote the load the next day or you'd have a CPO/COB jerking your ass into a knot. Can't do that today because "little Johnny" will write home to his mommy and have a Congressman swinging his weight on the Command/CO.
Bring back the "Rocks and Shoals" Yep I know what "fat chance means".
mike652
Posted 2018-11-05 12:49 PM (#90545 - in reply to #90544)
Great Sage of the Sea

This is an overreaction to some alcohol fueled illegal acts by sailors/Marines in Japan.
GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-05 12:52 PM (#90546 - in reply to #90541)

COMSUBBBS

Always verify the sources

(on internet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments on internet.jpg (153KB - 607 downloads)
Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-05 5:09 PM (#90548 - in reply to #90545)

Master and Commander

Try this. I didn't read it but maybe there is a clue as to what is going on today.
https://www.military.com/.../navy-imposes-new-liberty-booze-restrictions-in-japan.ht...
rover177
Posted 2018-11-06 12:52 PM (#90552 - in reply to #90541)
Master and Commander

Forbidden to access the site. Can someone access and post the details please.
Gil
Posted 2018-11-06 12:59 PM (#90553 - in reply to #90552)
Master and Commander

Me Also!
Ric
Posted 2018-11-06 1:54 PM (#90554 - in reply to #90548)

Plankowner

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/06/navy-imposes-new-liberty-booze-restrictions-in-japan.html
GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-06 3:11 PM (#90555 - in reply to #90541)

COMSUBBBS

Please realize we have access today to more information than anyone had in the past
https://www.lifewire.com/best-search-engines-2483352

Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-06 4:43 PM (#90556 - in reply to #90554)

Master and Commander

Thanks Ric for bailing me out. Next time I post a link, you can bet, I'll check it out.
Sorry mates.
Pedro
Posted 2018-11-06 5:09 PM (#90557 - in reply to #90556)

COMSUBBBS

Big Brother strikes again. Yet another social engineering ploy underway to eradicate and remove any last vestiges of real characters within the naval service. The work hard, play hard concept has been replaced by a mindless regime of a robotic navy force devoid of any individuality within its ranks. This is a sure path to disaster when the retention and recruitment figures start to tumble, as they inevitably will. Bear in mind these are unqualified politicians and civil servants without any military service to their nation calling the shots.

Pedro
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-11-07 5:39 AM (#90558 - in reply to #90541)
Master and Commander

Oh the mortification of it all. Sailors not to be sailors. At least by our standards. I can think of several Chaplains I've met over the years who are smiling in their graves. I doubt if any of them are still alive as they were old men when I was young. I can't exactly recall all the lectures I heard on the evils of playing sailor over the years, but there were a bunch of them.  
GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-07 8:13 AM (#90559 - in reply to #90541)

COMSUBBBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3VOAj9hopY
Gil
Posted 2018-11-07 1:27 PM (#90560 - in reply to #90541)
Master and Commander

The article is a few years old, also I have a friend that retired to what use to be the west gate of the Subic Bay baseLast year he said sailors were not allowed ti frequent bars.  I believe the root cause of this was the rape of a Japanese woman, and or a female in Okinawa.  I was wondering what the current climate is like?

The only good thing is even I could save a lot of money on Westpac,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software