Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The late Capt. Don Ulmer, USN SS (Ret.), and noted submarine author, began his military career by enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1947 and in 1949 while serving as an electrical technician E-4 aboard the submarine USS Clamagore, he was transferred to the Naval Academy. When he asked his commanding officer why he was being sent to Annapolis, the skipper replied, "I don't think you're smart enough to make E-5 and I need the bunk space." Ulmer graduated in 1954 and in 1967 returned to command Clamagore, possibly the only officer to command a U.S. warship having served on it as an enlisted man.
JK You Okay
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2018-11-11 11:44 PM (#90610)
Master and Commander

Subject: JK You Okay

Just wondering how our resident Skimmer is doing with the SoCal fires.  I'm only getting a little smoke and ashes, but he's a lot closer to the danger than I am?
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-11-12 10:13 AM (#90612 - in reply to #90610)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: JK You Okay

The nearest fire to me was about 15 miles away. It would have to burn through about 10 miles of farm land and a bunch of city before it got here. The smoke was pretty bad on Friday, blocking out the sun for a while. It knocked out cable TV and internet for about 24 hours here so I was offline for a while. We still have gusty hot east winds. Supposed to be in the mid-70's until the weekend, and dry dry dry! So dry, when I pet the dogs, they crackle from static electricity. Hard to touch anything without getting zapped.

The fires are still burning, but they have reached the ocean. Lots of homes burned, lots of homes saved.

Jon
Ric
Posted 2018-11-12 4:47 PM (#90613 - in reply to #90612)

Plankowner

Make sure you have an "escape kit" for you and the pups and a way out if necessary!!! Patti was just asking about you the other day.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-11-12 5:45 PM (#90615 - in reply to #90613)

Master and Commander

Already done, Ric. There are plenty of places to go, but we are pretty safe here, surrounded by farm fields. It's pretty hard for a fire to jump a square mile of celery.

Thanks for the kind thought, and give Patti a hug from me.

Jon
Gil
Posted 2018-11-13 1:32 AM (#90620 - in reply to #90610)
Master and Commander

Granted I guess it's hard to jump that much, but I was surprised when they said it jumped the 101.  I use to live in Woodland Hills when I worked at Litton.  Off Topanga Highway and the 101, I guess that area is just a little south on the 101 from the main danger.  My old hangout - the Sagebrush Cantina might even be shut down.  The Rock Store might not be open also,  I use to ride my rice burner to those motorcycle hangouts on the weekend.

Stay Safe!

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2018-11-13 10:27 AM (#90627 - in reply to #90620)

Master and Commander

The Woolsey fire is staying in the Santa Monica mountains, now over 25 airline miles from me, and burning in the opposite direction. The Hill fire is pretty much contained, and will be out by the end of the week. There was a 3rd fire started a couple days ago but they jumped on it quickly and limited it to only a few acres. It's either under control, or is out.

I'm safe here, except for a possible earthquuuuuaaaaaakkkkke. Oops, sorry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software