Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Tenacity Dick, stay with the bastard till he's on the bottom.” -- Mush Morton to Dick O'Kane
Another Facebook Post
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2018-11-20 4:54 PM (#90683)
Master and Commander

Subject: Another Facebook Post

This was posted in response to a user request on a Sub Site:

The question from someone was was this: 

I’ve got a question. I was reading a book today and ran across an interesting tidbit...

“I have seen a boat that came real close to crush depth and came back showing it's ribs supporting the ballast tanks to the people tank. This was a nuc sub and after checking, it was deemed safe to continue to operate with a shallower max depth. “

Anybody know when and what boat this was? I know circumstances probably can’t be shared.

The responses were this:

B There were a couple of LID boats I believe, as well as some diesel ones. If anyone can remember the diesel ones you can find pictures that will give you the willies.

A I’ve seen the diesels. Just wondering who the nuke was
G Not sure about the ribs part, but that may have been the La Jolla in the early-mid 80's.
 depth was a advisory only.

Ric
Posted 2018-11-20 5:39 PM (#90684 - in reply to #90683)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Another Facebook Post

Interesting. I've never heard this before.
I will say that when Flasher made her first Test Depth dive I noticed I could see every rib location on the hull when we got back to EB. It wasn't bad just a slight indent between them. We had overshot TD by a little bit, don't think it was more than 100 feet at the most of that much at all.
We were never depth limited.
Buc1369
Posted 2018-11-21 4:11 AM (#90685 - in reply to #90683)
Crew

Greenling was most likely LID after the depth excursion, but returned to designed TD till DECOMM. The frame locations were visible at the pier. Pretty sure some if not all the S Girls were LID boats.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-11-21 6:02 AM (#90686 - in reply to #90683)
Master and Commander

If you know, then you know. If you were there, you most likely signed a non-disclosure form. I think those things are probably still in effect. 
GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-21 6:41 AM (#90687 - in reply to #90683)

COMSUBBBS

Had to look this one up (CRS)

(LID.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LID.jpg (172KB - 625 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2018-11-21 7:10 AM (#90689 - in reply to #90683)
Master and Commander

The champion of survival past crush depth HAS to be the Chopper! 1000 ft!

Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2018-11-21 7:11 AM
Ric
Posted 2018-11-21 8:15 AM (#90690 - in reply to #90689)

Plankowner

All I can say is listening to the hull scream at you as you go deeper is not fun. Then the added fun of all the unstressed pop rivets shearing due to the compression. Sounded like popcorn.
Runner485
Posted 2018-11-21 10:18 AM (#90691 - in reply to #90687)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks for looking that up Gary. I didn't know what that meant either...
We smokeboat sailors only had to worry about 400' No moaning or groaning.
But I agree, that Chopper has to hold the modern day record for an unauthorized, very deep submergence and survive. Happily so too.
rover177
Posted 2018-11-21 12:39 PM (#90695 - in reply to #90683)
Master and Commander

Ballast tanks can show ribs at any time; often due to the temperature change in paint deterioration - thin tank versus tank and frame. If ballast tanks are not vented properly, meaning there is still a little air in them, any deeper dive can result in rib exposure. Pressure hull rib exposure would be the worry however.
Ovens had a depth excursion when I was Sonar Officer. We were well in excess of 200 ft below full diving depth. Had not reached calculated crush depth however. Pedro will know of the RN Oberon that was tested to crush depth after 'end of life.' Believe it went within 15 ft or so of calculated crush.
Gil
Posted 2018-11-21 3:33 PM (#90697 - in reply to #90695)
Master and Commander

Also a thanks to Gary for looking that up.  I didn't have a clue to it either, and assumed I was the only one.

Never heard my boat scream at depth, but heard it squeak  and groan when we were real deep.  I did love being on the helm at that time. because the boat barely wavered from course, and I could really relax before being on the bow or stern planes.  It almost made up for our transit from Pearl  to Yokosuka where we we were in storms for ten days.  The course would veer 3 or 4 degrees with each wave that hit us because diesel boats had to stay on the surface in heavy storms.
GaryKC
Posted 2018-11-21 5:54 PM (#90698 - in reply to #90683)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks, https://www.thefreedictionary.com/
Very good site for a quick search of darn near everything. Really like the handy onscreen keyboard in the search bar.
Here's another to play with https://www.acronymfinder.com/

Ric
Posted 2018-11-21 7:20 PM (#90699 - in reply to #90697)

Plankowner

That could be the difference between a unstressed hull and one who has stressed. This was our first TD dive.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2018-11-24 4:11 PM (#90723 - in reply to #90683)

Master and Commander

I remember one emergency surface that didn't go as planned. the boat was at an up angle I'd guess in excess of 45 degrees. When they stopped the slide the depth gauge in the missile compartment read just above test depth. Have a feeling those back in maneuvering were glued to their gauge thinking, I'd rather be elsewhere right now. Boat was 381ft and the MCML Depth gauge maybe 1/2 or so from the bow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software