Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine often navigates by sound when submerged. Sound can travel 3,000 nautical miles or more through water.
The War
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-01 8:38 PM (#7940)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The War

I've watched most of the installments (?) of The War on TV and have only heard the word "submarine" once when they said, "On this same day an American submarine sank a Japanese battleship."

First we're (how do you like that "we're"?) not mentioned in Brokaw's Geatest Generation, and now this. I know this is the Silent Service, but maybe we've been silent too long.

I think our subs did more than their share during WWII.

Dang nab it, anyhow!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-10-01 8:39 PM
Skii
Posted 2007-10-02 11:38 AM (#7950 - in reply to #7940)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: The War

After the Daily Press in Norfolk Va interviewed Rear Admiral Rowland Freeman, Jr. who was picked up by the USS STERLET (SS392) on October 10, 1944 and he was able to have a life beyond WWII
he was highlighted in a Video that credited the submarine force with many pilot pick ups.

His video will be highlighted during our reunion in San Diego October 12-14. He had his air logs
and I sent him the submarine WWII patrol log of the day he and his four crew were picked up
as well as another pilot from the Wasp Lt Rasmussen. They spent three weeks on the Sterlet
and almost qualified.

Norfolk as one of many pilot stations that interviewed people involved in the ear and proudly
Admiral Freeman gave much tribute to the USS STERLET (SS392) saving his life.

I sent him a copy of Submarine Command (made on Sterlet in 1951 with William Holden, William Bendix and Nancy Olsen), a copy of our 1996 reunioni with some of crew in it that rescued him,
and popcorn for the 85 year old Admiral and his wife to enjoy while watching the movies.

Many WWII films are dedicated to the submarine participation in the war such as the Capture of
the U-505 and the Japanese public surrender in which they state that submarines won the War
in the Pacific

I sent the reporter that did the story on Admiral Freeman's rescue the World War II partrol logs
and l0 pages of Lt. Williams Wrights book "The Last Good War to let her read the actual events of
what she reported and she was thrilled to receive the recant of what happened.

Thre is so much out there and the series "The War" s just highlights of so many that served.
and the series was too short to give a lot total just due.

Dick Jarenski YN1(SS)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software