Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
Submarine Memorabilia
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Roy Ator
Posted 2007-10-14 6:33 AM (#8185)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Submarine Memorabilia

"Submarine Memorabilia"

The now declassified Submarine War Patrol Reports are readily available for all hands to review in an easy to use digitized format at a very reasonable cost. I received my order last week and spent some hours yesterday reading about our history when it happened without filtering or someone’s interpretation. I must say that I’m really intrigued and look forward to many hours of review.

They are in JAY-pegh [.jpg] format and there are several free software programs available for manipulating them to your preference. I’m using Irfanview and it has worked so well that I haven’t tried any other. It’s easy to resize & print if desired.

What a wonderful asset the full set would be for any high school or college library for the students to research and learn!

Edited by Roy Ator 2007-10-14 6:36 AM
crystal
Posted 2007-10-14 8:15 AM (#8187 - in reply to #8185)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Submarine Memorabilia

Thanks for the unsolicited review Roy, I'm with you 1,000% - there are MANY places such as you suggest that would benefit from this history in their hands.  I had offered a deep discount to all of our HNSA member museum boats.  The Razorback (Greg Stitz) is the ONLY one who placed an order (out of 21)!  Hell, these should be available at EVERY museum boat (etal) for that grandkid (now with kids of his own), that still gets the questions about what great grand dad did in the war - the kids don't even know!  Then consider NSL, they recognize it's value but don't know what to do with it because they would have to spend money to provide it to every WWII sub vet still living as was suggested - they just want me to turn the copyright over to them - jeeezzz.  I won't even mention our own USSVI who can't see past their own tenure!  FRUSTRATING!!!! (but I'm glad you're enjoying it Roy, there are a few of us out here!)... 
crystal
Posted 2007-10-14 8:41 AM (#8188 - in reply to #8185)

Master and Commander

BTW: Officially, Tom Clancy has bought a set (through a 3rd party)...
PatH
Posted 2007-10-14 9:40 PM (#8197 - in reply to #8187)

Great Sage of the Sea

Well, I'm on the USSVI National Board and I know of no offering, proposal or contact about this project to the USSVI board. I'm getting old and perhaps I dozed off, or had to make a head call...
crystal
Posted 2007-10-15 11:14 AM (#8211 - in reply to #8185)

Master and Commander

Sorry Pat, as per my email to you, it was not the time to "take the time" (as history witnesses) to go through the endless meetings and delays only to wind up with a (potential & quite likely) negative (months if not years) down the road.  In no way was my comment meant to degrade the efforts by you and your fellow volunteer USSVI Officers - Sorry for that! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software