Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Will let them go by . . . they are only heavy cruisers!” -- USS Dace Captain Claggett after viewing what appeared to be a full task force, and cruisers, with an apparent battleship following behind the cruisers
Another record set.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2018-11-26 11:47 AM (#92738)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Another record set.

When I retired I moved to Redfield NY and lived there for 11 years until I got smarter and moved 22 miles down into the flats. Redfield is the snowiest place East of the Mississippi, averaging 250 to 325 inches of snow a year, and second behind some place in CO for the lower 48. Anyway, another record was set in 2017 for the most snow in 48 hours at 62.2 inches.

I'm glad I no longer live there. Here we only get an average of 150 Inches a year.
Ric
Posted 2018-11-26 12:33 PM (#92739 - in reply to #92738)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Another record set.

Lotta snow for sure. We get very little where I live (haven't had a good snow here in about 10 years)
Just a few miles from me though:

Mt. Baker Ski Area is a ski resort in the northwest United States, located in Whatcom County, Washington, at the end of State Route 542. The base elevation is at 3,500 feet (1,067 m), while the peak of the resort is at 5,089 feet (1,551 m). It is about 10 miles (16 km) south of the 49th parallel, the international border with Canada.

The ski area is home to the world's greatest recorded snowfall in one season, 1,140 inches (95.0 ft; 29.0 m), recorded during the 1998–99 season. Mt. Baker also enjoys the unofficially highest average annual snowfall of any resort in the world, with 641 inches (53.4 ft; 16.3 m)
Runner485
Posted 2018-11-29 6:41 AM (#92748 - in reply to #92738)

COMSUBBBS

Oh man Ian, you were smack in the middle of the snow belt. We downstaters were very glad you guys took the brunt of all the snow that came off the lake, instead of us lower Noo Yawkers.
Gil
Posted 2018-11-29 12:19 PM (#92750 - in reply to #92738)
Master and Commander

I use to travel on business to areas around Syracuse, Elmira, and Buffalo.  This was infrequent and all year long for a few years.  I must have gotten lucky because I never got much snow.  The last time we drove from Elmira to Manhattan.  I think I was in or close to the area referred to as the snow highway or something like that - I guess I was lucky to miss all that.

I miss those areas and the people, and no matter how cold it was it was great at the end of the week to get on the plane back to SoCal and leave that cold behind.  No matter what time of the year the most I'd need would be a very light jacket.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-11-29 9:17 PM (#92751 - in reply to #92738)
Master and Commander

Miller Brewing had a plant in Fulton NY. They went on strike and I got sent there to work strike duty. We knew it was going to be a long cold winter when we noticed most of the picketers pickups were four wheel drive, had snow plows and weight in the back. The snow held off that year until after the strike. We had some, but not what they expected.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software