Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Inside Look at USS South Dakota SSN790
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-01-08 5:46 AM (#93124)
Master and Commander

Subject: Inside Look at USS South Dakota SSN790

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a25780066/uss-south-dakota-americas-newest-nuclear-submarine/

geno
Posted 2019-01-08 7:18 AM (#93126 - in reply to #93124)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Inside Look at USS South Dakota SSN790

Well, I must say I was totally befuddled when the word "pilot" was said. As a DOOW, I always thought a pilot was the guy that helped you transit the harbor. And I'm still not sure if the pilot was the DOOW or the stern planesman. But it was interesting.
Runner485
Posted 2019-01-08 7:44 AM (#93127 - in reply to #93126)

COMSUBBBS

Likewise, with the word pilot. I always associate a joy stick with video games, now they dive and steer huge submarines....the ultimate video game. Amazing!
Ric
Posted 2019-01-08 8:46 AM (#93128 - in reply to #93127)

Plankowner

Would it surprise you to know that Soviet submarines were steered and dived with joysticks over 30 years ago. Both Soviet subs I worked on had this.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-01-09 4:14 AM (#93135 - in reply to #93124)
Master and Commander

After I qualified for all my Weapons Dept watches, I qualified as Helmsman/Planesman to pass some time on patrol. I went to Control when the Weps Officer was on duty since we got along very well.

The SSBN was like power steering when you took the wheel. But the times we would switch to hydraulic to test the system and make sure I could handle it was when you really felt in control of the boat.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2019-01-09 6:07 AM (#93137 - in reply to #93124)

Master and Commander

In the days of yore, in the days of Iron Men and Wooden Ships, the pilot was the navigator and (now) DOOW, sometimes the helmsman too. Anyone who is in direct control of the steerage of the ship or boat is considered the pilot, even if pulling a water skier or rounding a buoy in a sailing regatta.

Amazing what you learn over the years.
610ET
Posted 2019-01-10 11:43 AM (#93145 - in reply to #93124)

Old Salt

As I understand it, the pilot, co-pilot and theirjoysticks take the place of the DOOW, COW and both hem/planesmen?

oldsubs
Posted 2019-01-10 5:51 PM (#93148 - in reply to #93124)

Historian

Just so you know at least one submarine of our Force and quite possibly two had 'joystick' steering and dive controls in 1968. Their use and their pioneering concept of 'fly by wire' computer control of submarines led to the eventual adoption of the control system seen on Virginia class boats today. Not Alabcore.

Be Well
oldsubs
Don Gentry
Posted 2019-01-10 7:40 PM (#93149 - in reply to #93148)

Admin

Let the games begin Jim... let the games begin!

OK fellas... which boat?  Personally, I am more curious about the "possible second boat".

For joystick boats, when the stick craps out, what's the backup?  Hopefully not local control ...
oldsubs
Posted 2019-01-11 5:31 AM (#93153 - in reply to #93124)

Historian

Oh silly me, I failed to include the names of the boats. First is NR-1. I know it wasn't commissioned and such, but it pioneered the pilot, copilot, joystick fly by wire form of submarine control in the USN. I think the Dolphin (SS-555) did also but am not sure.

Interesting also to note that one of the major upsides of the shift from what we 'olde pharts' are/were used to to the Virginia type control room and dive team is economic. One of the most expensive long term items in projecting costs of a submarine is its crew. The Virginia's ship control team has three members; the older teams we were used to had 5-6. (Two helm/planesmen, Diving officer, BCP operator, OOD and perhaps a messenger). Less personnel equals less long term cost, less berthing, less food and so on.

Backup for loss of computer or joystick breakage? Perhaps chainfalls to the rudder rams. I have never asked the question of anyone who would know. But surely there is a plan.

What comes to mind is the discussion of changing from our old hydraulic system to the Virginia's would be similar to the old sailor going aboard one of the early steam warships like USS Monitor----"How the hell are we supposed to control this thing if that new fangled steam engine quits, there are no masts and sails. [I think the old R-14 rigged sails once]

Be Well
oldsubs
mike652
Posted 2019-01-11 7:18 AM (#93154 - in reply to #93153)
Great Sage of the Sea

oldsubs - 2019-01-11 8:31 AM
The Virginia's ship control team has three members; the older teams we were used to had 5-6. (Two helm/planesmen, Diving officer, BCP operator, OOD and perhaps a messenger).

The Virginia class can accommodate more crew than a 637/688. Reducing the number of the dive party manning by two - three should not be a consideration.
oldsubs
Posted 2019-01-11 7:34 AM (#93155 - in reply to #93124)

Historian

Of the many hundreds of thousands of considerations that went into the design of the Virginia Class and follow on submarines, I can assure you manning levels and the subsequent costs were in the mix. This was a part of the design function as it should be. Accommodation was also a function as it fitted into the mission requirements. The numbers of the ship control party may be a small thing, but it is a thing and that it was considered is a complement to those men and women who labored to fully design one of the most complex mobile objects ever created by the hand of man. Attention to detail is a good thing.

Be Well
oldsubs
rover177
Posted 2019-01-11 12:51 PM (#93160 - in reply to #93124)
Master and Commander

S22 (Oxley) and later Oberons, plus updated older boats, had One Man Control (OMC) for helm and planes. Emergency plane control was air to the after planes; fore planes local control to midships or 5 degrees down (memory a bit lax). Steering was local control. We had two OOW; one for periscope and one for everything else. Sometimes when deep, one OOW could rest in wardroom. POOW for the Contact Evaluation Plot (CEP) and a further POOW for the OMC. Engineer PO for hydraulics, trimming and HP air etc. AB messenger. That was the control room mainstay. When things got interesting, numbers grew.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software