Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: “What wordy praise can one give such men as these; men who … follow unhesitatingly when in the vicinity of minefields so long as there is the possibility of targets … Men who flinch not with the fathometer ticking off two fathoms beneath the keel … Men who will fight to the last bullet and then start throwing the empty shell cases. These are submariners.” - Eugene Fluckey in his final war patrol report aboard USS Barb
USS Delaware Crew
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2019-01-21 5:27 AM (#93200)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: USS Delaware Crew

We had the priviledge to have a visit with some of the crew from the Delaware at last Saturdays meeting. I was able to have a chat with the COB who has 22 years in and is younger then my youngest son, damn. Anyway we had the COB and 4 other crew there...1 -1st class cook, and the rest of the guys were E4's. An interesting aside was one of the men was an MM nuke rated and was with his girlfriend who was also a nuke rated MM stationed on a carrier. Everyone intro'd themselves with a little bio about their jobs. The COB gave a little talk about the upcoming commissioning which will probably be held in Norfolk, Va. but that may change...Nothing definite yet.
I told him of my feeling that the 688 and the Seawolf class had a lot less "people room" then my tench class boat or so it seemed to me. He replied the Virginia class has even less people room since they moved much of the outboard stuff about a foot in from the hull, giving them less room. He explained how they qualify the guys out of BESS. They got about 80 new unqualed sailors. No one wants to go to sea with 80 unqualed crew aboard he said, so they ship them TAD to other boats for qualifications.I did think the crew size of 135 was a bit large though for the class. Did the 688's have a crew that big too???
An interesting visit for sure... 
Ric
Posted 2019-01-21 9:45 AM (#93202 - in reply to #93200)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: USS Delaware Crew

Now sure of the staffing requirements these days but in the 60's that was close to the size for the boomers. We had 113 on Flasher. Other countries seem to be going with more automation and less crew.
mike652
Posted 2019-01-21 12:22 PM (#93204 - in reply to #93200)
Great Sage of the Sea

I took a little search attempting to find the manning requirements for the class. I found this (which does not explain the larger than 637/688 birthing):
Reduced Watchstation Manning
Virginia’s new capabilities have not required any additional crew. In fact, a thorough re-engineering of the ship’s functionality, manpower requirements, and billet structure has enabled the reduction of 15 crew watchstanders in comparison to Seawolf. The key to this greater efficiency has been technology insertion, particularly for automating tasks and handling information, and Virginia’s modular design will facilitate even further reductions as new technologies become available. Typical efficiencies are found in the following areas:

Ship Control Station: Virginia’s digital “fly-by-wire” advanced ship control station will be operated by a Pilot, Copilot, and a Relief Pilot. These three watchstanders replace the customary Diving Officer, Chief of the Watch, Helmsman, Planesman, and Messenger needed on previous submarine classes.
Navigation - Quartermaster Watch- station: The increased use of automation, such as electronic charting, allows combining the duties of the Navigation Electronics Technician and the Quartermaster of the Watch into those of a single Navigation Watchstander.
Throttleman – Reactor Operator Watchstation: Increased use of technology and automation allows the Reactor Operator also to perform the duties of the Throttleman while carrying out his current responsibilities.
Auxiliaryman Aft Watchstation: The relative simplicity and innovative automation of Virginia’s engineroom will allow engineroom personnel to monitor installed auxiliary equipment, thus eliminating the Auxiliaryman Aft watchstation.
Torpedo Room Watch: Automated systems and tours by other watchstanders allow the elimination of the Torpedo Room watchstander.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/docs/virginia_class.htm

Ric
Posted 2019-01-21 2:51 PM (#93205 - in reply to #93204)

Plankowner

Crewing for 593/594 class were suppose to be 99 but 113 seemed is was the norm for the mid '60's.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software