Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Alexander the Great (356 to 323 B.C.) ruler of Macedonia and conqueror of the known world in his time, is the first person known to have descended into the sea in a vessel of any kind.
Just had some great news
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2019-03-02 6:14 PM (#93501)

Plankowner

Subject: Just had some great news

I had inquired at the National Records Service to see if my Dad was eligible for any awards for his short service in the Coast Guard Reserves during WW II. He was draft exempt due to his work with the railroads. When the Coast Guard was calling all their people to get ready for the invasion of Japan the call was put out for volunteers to take their places. I wondered if that service had had any recognition. They were "enlisted" "promoted" and "discharged" though not paid. I got this information back today.

He was eligible for the American Campaign Medal, the WW II Victory Medal and the Honorable Service Lapel Button for WWII (Ruptured Duck). I was thinking he was maybe eligible for the WW II Victory at most. When I read the letter from the Records Service and Coast Guard I almost broke down and cried. I never imagined it would have hit me like that. The awards are being shipped to me.

Too bad he never lived long enough to have received them in person. He died at age 46 in 1955.
Made up this little montage with a vintage WW II era photo of him to send to my brother.

Bob Mahon
Posted 2019-03-02 7:49 PM (#93502 - in reply to #93501)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Just had some great news

How great is that ??
Kudos to him !
Holland Club
Posted 2019-03-02 8:44 PM (#93503 - in reply to #93501)

Master and Commander

Congrats and 'Well Done'.
I see a strong resemblance between you and your dad.
Rest In Peace, sir. I am truly indebted to you for your service.
Runner485
Posted 2019-03-03 6:00 AM (#93505 - in reply to #93501)

COMSUBBBS

What wonderful news Ric. Congrats are in order for your dad...
Tom McNulty
Posted 2019-03-03 8:42 AM (#93506 - in reply to #93501)

Master and Commander

That's so nice to have received them. I sure see the family resemblance.
Gil
Posted 2019-03-03 11:21 AM (#93507 - in reply to #93501)
Master and Commander

Nice!  Your Dad volunteered for the Coast Guard when the call was put out?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wasn't the Coast Guard's role more global than it is today?
Ric
Posted 2019-03-03 12:58 PM (#93510 - in reply to #93507)

Plankowner

In war the Coast Guard falls under the Department of the Navy.
In WW II the west coast was patrolled by CG personnel monitoring the shorelines, Many times from horseabck.
A huge number of landing craft were all manned by the CG not the Navy.
In preparation for the landings on the Japanese home islands the CG was recalled from coastal shoreline patrol duty and other positions and were readied for the landings, that never took place.
To cover the now vacated spots volunteers were asked for.
My Dad was draft exempt since he worked for the Rail Roads, a Defense Industry. He volunteered since he was in Aberdeen, Washington as a traffic manager and right on the coast.
He still kept his "day job" since the CG spots were nonpaying. He did "boot camp" in the evenings and weekends and when done he went from an E-1 cook striker to a Yeoman 1/C. since he knew office operations and could type and file.
A little over a month after the war ended he was discharged and the government promptly forgot about him and his service.
Late last year I decided to see if he was ever eligible for any awards.
Seems he was and had never gotten them. Till now!

Jim M.
Posted 2019-03-08 9:42 AM (#93557 - in reply to #93501)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ric,

Congrats.. I had the same reaction, pretty much, after I enquired in late 2004/early 2005 if my father was eligible for the Republic of Korea War Service medal (Dad was in Japan at the tail end of the war and flew some medivac missions in and out of Korea before hostilities ended). He also qualified for the Korean Defense Service Medal. All are proudly displayed on a wall in my home office.

When the RoK medal was authorized in late 2001 or so, I asked my father if he wanted me to try and go for it.. he said no. But after he died in 2004, I had to..

Edited by Jim M. 2019-03-08 9:44 AM

(DVC00011.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DVC00011.JPG (124KB - 537 downloads)
Don Gentry
Posted 2019-03-08 11:30 AM (#93560 - in reply to #93557)

Admin

Nice job Jim.  I took apart my Dad's shadowbox as it was, let's say, sub-standard.  I haven't built the new one yet but I need to get crackin' on it!!
Ric
Posted 2019-03-08 1:26 PM (#93562 - in reply to #93557)

Plankowner

Jim
Nice display.

Dad was only enlisted for the duration of WW II. As it turned out that was only about 11 months.
The demands of war make for strange situations. His enlistment papers has him listed as a cook striker E-1 on November 8, 1944.
After he completed some sort of boot training he was immediately promoted to a Yeoman 1/C. Promotion paperwork confirms this.
With the railroads he was a traffic manager. Knew organization, could type and file and follow orders.
He was discharged at the end of October 1945. I have his discharge paperwork as well. About 9 days before I was born.

I was only 9 years old when he passed away and there was little talk of that time. Mom died two years later so no family history/knowledge remains except a little from my brother who was 7 years old at the time. This all comes as a strange, wonderful and bewildering bit of news. Almost seems awkward some how. Yet I'm damned proud, too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software