Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
I thought we all learned this in Boot?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-03-11 11:00 AM (#93605)
Master and Commander

Subject: I thought we all learned this in Boot?

SEAL Training?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-survives-hours-lost-at-sea-off-new-zealand-after-turning-jeans-into-flotation-device

(34, 34, 34); letter-spacing: -1.2px; max-width: 992px; text-align: center;">Man survives hours lost at sea off New Zealand after turning jeans into flotation device

(34, 34, 34);">A tourist from Germany survived being knocked overboard and left adrift for hours on the open water off the coast of New Zealand last week -- all thanks to his jeans. Arne Murke was delivering a yacht with his brother from Auckland, New Zealand to Brazil when they ended up sailing through rough seas about 20 miles off Tolaga Bay on March 6. The 40-foot yacht's mainsheet suddenly came loose amid the rough swells and knocked Murke overboard while he was only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. "My brother started directly to get me but the swell was like three meters," he told the New Zealand Herald. "He threw a life jacket with a rope overboard. I couldn't reach that, it was already too far away." After being unable to reach the life jacket, the 30-year-old said he quickly decided to turn his jeans into a flotation device, a technique that's used by the U.S. Navy SEALs.

GaryKC
Posted 2019-03-11 11:16 AM (#93606 - in reply to #93605)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I thought we all learned this in Boot?

(floatation jeans.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments floatation jeans.jpg (130KB - 581 downloads)
Tom McNulty
Posted 2019-03-11 12:23 PM (#93607 - in reply to #93605)

Master and Commander

We did that in the pool during Boot Camp training. Also use of the shirt and white hat for flotation. Getting the damn knots out afterwards was a pain in the ass. Needed to quickly while they were yelling to hurry up.
Gil
Posted 2019-03-11 1:55 PM (#93610 - in reply to #93605)
Master and Commander

Navy Reserve boot camp was only two weeks at Hunters Point.  We did have to jump in a pool from what I considered a high platform and and tread water for five or ten minutes, but never got the opportunity to use our clothes as flotation devices.  I did hear about making the dungarees into flotation devices, but not about the white hat.  Could one of you regular Navy guys explain that for me?
Tom McNulty
Posted 2019-03-11 3:49 PM (#93612 - in reply to #93610)

Master and Commander

When you lowered the brim it looked like a mini parachute. You flipped it with both hands over the water and it kept a bubble for a short time. So you just kept emptying and flipping. I hope that paints the proper picture.
Don Gentry
Posted 2019-03-11 6:40 PM (#93613 - in reply to #93605)

Admin

https://youtu.be/vAhUD6_gS6w
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-03-12 5:20 AM (#93615 - in reply to #93605)
Master and Commander

learned that in boot camp; taught my kids and then years later my grand kids how to do it.

Great video there Don.
Ric
Posted 2019-03-12 9:37 AM (#93616 - in reply to #93605)

Plankowner

The guy in the video says to tie the legs together. We were taught in Boot to tie each leg and then lay between the legs. This works too.
Gil
Posted 2019-03-12 10:43 AM (#93617 - in reply to #93605)
Master and Commander

Thanks!
Holland Club
Posted 2019-03-12 2:44 PM (#93618 - in reply to #93615)

Master and Commander

Yep. Same here. They taught a hillbilly boy who had never swam a stroke or been in water deeper than a knee deep creek. And then only a couple times.

Taught to tie each leg in an overhand knot. button fly and open waist fully and waving high as possible with waist down. Bring dungarees down smartly to catch max air in them. separate inflated legs holding waist under water to keep your air bubble in and climb aboard with one leg underneath each armpit. Repeat catching air bubble as necessary. I actually learned to tread water so could do the above when we went off the platform. I seem to remember it was about 12 feet to the water. Oh yeah. You started out with dungarees on and then remove while treading water, tie knot, catch air and float before you drown. Good old bootcamp!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software