Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: NAUTILUS has long been touted as the first Nuclear powered submarine. In fact, she was the first nuclear powered "anything". Nothing that moves was ever propelled by nuclear power before NAUTILUS.
POW Camps
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Scrivener
Posted 2019-04-13 3:36 PM (#93802)
Senior Crew

Subject: POW Camps

I listened to an excellent program today called Radio Lab, on NPR. The topic under consideration was POW camps in the U.S. during WWII. The main reporter, who was obviously quite young, described how surprised she was when she learned about the existence of those camps. That astonished me, as I previously had thought that everyone knew about them. I think it is a generational thing. Then, again, I have first hand knowledge about one such camp.

One of the main camps was located in my hometown of Clarinda, Iowa. Most of the prisoners were German and Italian, with a few Japanese sprinkled into the mix. Many of the prisoners were permitted to do farm labor for local farmers, for which they were paid a wage. I have heard that the local population bore very little animosity toward the prisoners. After the war, all the prisoners were repatriated, and the camp was turned into low-cost Veteran’s Housing. My father moved his young family into the housing when I was about 3, and we lived there for five years.
Steve
Posted 2019-04-13 3:44 PM (#93803 - in reply to #93802)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: POW Camps

I'm living in a subdivision that previously was the site of a Japanese Internment Camp in Santa Fe, NM in WWII.
Ric
Posted 2019-04-13 6:29 PM (#93804 - in reply to #93802)

Plankowner

When I was a kid my barber was Italian. He had been taken prisoner in WW II and sent to the US. I don't remember where he said he where the camp was. He made a little money cutting hair in the camp and decided he liked it. He asked to stay after the war. His name was Tony!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-04-13 8:27 PM (#93805 - in reply to #93802)
Master and Commander

I think I remember the owner of Hymie's Ratskeller in Charleston was a German U-Boat POW who stayed after the war.
Runner485
Posted 2019-04-14 5:22 AM (#93807 - in reply to #93802)

COMSUBBBS

There was a POW camp built during the war in a town I moved to in 1970. It housed German POW's. They had free run of the town after whatever work they performed during the day. The homes were later offered to the public for housing... 
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-04-14 6:44 AM (#93811 - in reply to #93802)
Master and Commander

My dad sailed in the Atlantic carrying troops, on a converted passenger liner, to North Africa and Europe.

On the return trip, they carried POWs, who in his opinion, seemed glad they were no longer being shot at by Americans.

Gil
Posted 2019-04-14 8:52 AM (#93812 - in reply to #93802)
Master and Commander

I didn't know there were prison camps for Italians and Germans, I thought only Japanese mainly from California were held, mainly in our internment camps.  Yet, if you were of Japanese descent and lived in Hawaii you weren't bothered.

Most of the Japanese kids I went to school with in the Los Angeles area had parents that had been  held in these camps, and many got cheated out of land when they got to go home.  I'm thinking the Germans and Italians were held were for crimes?  After all, I don't remember Germans, or Italians being compensated for being in internment camps.  Were the Germans and Italians locked up here found guilty of doing something other than being German, or Italian.

Edited by Gil 2019-04-14 9:04 AM
Gil
Posted 2019-04-14 8:59 AM (#93813 - in reply to #93812)
Master and Commander

My dad got to sail on one of the Matson ships to or from the Philippine's during WWII - it was the only luxury cruise ship he ever got to go on.
Pete
Posted 2019-04-14 2:02 PM (#93815 - in reply to #93812)

Senior Crew

The Japanese camps you are talking about were not for POW's, they were for US citizens who were of Japanese decent. They were ordered to leave their homes on the west coast and go to internment camps. They were not compensated for their lost property until approximately 1990. Many young men in the camps volunteered for the US army and served with honor in Italy and Europe.
Ric
Posted 2019-04-14 2:10 PM (#93817 - in reply to #93815)

Plankowner

But we did have prisoner of war camps for Japanese troops who were captured or surrendered. I know one was in Hawaii. I can't really tell you where others were located but we had them.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-04-14 4:14 PM (#93818 - in reply to #93802)
Master and Commander

Look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_prisoners_of_war_in_the_United_States
Holland Club
Posted 2019-04-14 8:48 PM (#93819 - in reply to #93815)

Master and Commander

Right on Pete. Japanese people and those of Japanese descent were ordered to report to the Internment camps during WWII. Can't offer any reasoning for why they may have been more of a security threat than persons of German or Italian descent.
Just a guess but sentiment for the attack on Pearl was running high. I remember it well and the articles and cartoons in mags and papers helped fuel the sentiment, I'm sure.
Also seems people were a bit bummed about the Japanese invasion of China and all the people slaughtered ongoing essentially 3 years before Pearl. I believe that our government wanted to punish the Japanese for Pearl and the China thing.

A bit of history here:
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/WorldWar2/china.htm

Edited by Holland Club 2019-04-14 8:56 PM
GaryKC
Posted 2019-04-15 6:40 AM (#93821 - in reply to #93802)

COMSUBBBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_prisoner-of-war_camps_in_the_United_States

(camp clark.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments camp clark.jpg (157KB - 586 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software