Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Another Running Gun battle.....Destroyer Gunning, Wahoo Running” -- Wahoo (SS-238) after hitting a convoy, now out of fish, and heading for the barn......
The Beanstalk Saga Continues
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2019-05-20 3:53 PM (#94058)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The Beanstalk Saga Continues

Last October I regaled you all about my gardening problems with a monster weed that I thought I had removed and eradicated. Nobody more surprised than me to find that the beast is back again with a vengeance following all the good spring weather and rainy showers. I did employ a young gardener at the time who did a great job tackling the wilderness and getting it back under control and looking shipshape once more. He continued to drop by monthly, until he informed me he was going off to Bingo-Bongo-Land or someplace in Africa as a missionary for Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I thought fair enough mate, whatever floats your boat, but I still needed to find another gardener. His replacement arrived this morning and turned out to be a giant of a guy called Carl who was certainly better informed horticultural-wise than his predecessor and actually knew all the Latin names for plants in the garden. He immediately identified the beanstalk as Japanese Knotweed and enlightened me as to its dangerous implications and the special regulations governing its removal and destruction.

Originally introduced into England as a decorative plant in the 19th century this invasive and rapid growing weed poses a threat to property structures due to its huge spreading root systems. It must be treated much like the removal and disposal of asbestos and every step needs to be strictly controlled and recorded as a legal requirement. People selling their houses are required to inform vendors of the presence of this weed which can adversely affect their survey and mortgage conditions of sale. He did ask me what I had done with the removed root and branches and I told him it had all gone to the municipal dump. He grinned saying; "Let’s just pretend I never asked you that question."

Carl is confident he can eradicate this blight but it will take three or four seasons to successfully complete. His quotation was very reasonably priced so next week we begin the process and removal of it to a specially licensed landfill site for incineration. Let's just hope this Jap crap never darkens your doorstep or ever sets foot in your back yards.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2019-05-21 2:18 PM (#94066 - in reply to #94058)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: The Beanstalk Saga Continues

My mother had planted bamboo shortly after house construction in 1967. This is another noxious weed. After about three years, eradication required.
It did not stay in the little allocated pocket. Runners were followed and dug up, even as far as 15 metres (50 ft) from the bed. The mound was enormous. Fortunately in those days it was still possible to use a backyard incinerator to burn weeds - no weed bins. It certainly took a while to get through that pile. A future house had bamboo over the back fence, we saw the result in the grass. Got some vertical metal sheeting, dug it in and ran it along the fence-line. Did the trick.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-05-21 3:36 PM (#94067 - in reply to #94058)
Master and Commander

And we in Georgia continue to thank Former President Carter for introducing Kudzu to the State when he was Governor. Supposed to have been good cattle feed. Really good at killing any native plants and trees by smothering. Great place for snakes. Exceptional for hornets nests so you can find them while bush hogging to get your pasture back. Thank goodness for enclosed cab tractors. Used to be real fun with an open 8N Ford Tractor. 

Image result for kudzu
Ralph Luther
Posted 2019-05-22 1:26 PM (#94071 - in reply to #94067)
COMSUBBBS

Walt, get a few goats. They love eating kudzu and the critters that lurk there.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-05-22 4:20 PM (#94074 - in reply to #94058)
Master and Commander

Ralph old buddy. Then you have got to deal with the goats. You need special fence or the idiots hang up their horns in it. The coyotes and bobcats become a bigger problem. Neighbor's dogs love to run and kill them. The dam Hogs will root under the fence to get at the kids. Then the goats will find a way out and the GSP calls in the middle of the night for you to get your dam goats off the road. Then there are for real rustlers. Plus they are so cute, folks harass you when you try to sell them for meat. There are folks that do have goat herds they rent out to clear land, they come with a full time attendant and dogs. Plus there always seems to be one old Billy that hates you on site. 
Ralph Luther
Posted 2019-05-23 4:53 AM (#94075 - in reply to #94074)
COMSUBBBS

Walt, that's one of the reasons they make 9mm for. When we lived out in the sticks near York, SC, just South of Charlotte, NC, we staked them out on 6' lead and they did right well. Of course, we had to move the stakes every day but they got the job done and the copperheads weren't a problem anymore either
rover177
Posted 2019-05-25 10:07 PM (#94104 - in reply to #94058)
Master and Commander

When you were writing about old goats - could be retired people; have come across too many on the roads lately.
If I could catch them, I'd send you some deer - love roses, valencia oranges, sometimes the navels but don't like grapefruit or limes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software