Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
NSR - Garage door openers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2019-07-04 11:03 AM (#95390)

Admin

Subject: NSR - Garage door openers

We have a 3-bay garage and when we moved in two doors had older Genie openers on them which still work fine.  The Genie we installed on the 3rd door lasted about 18 months before the main circuit board FUBAR'd.  I was able to find a replacement board and all was well until a few days ago when the main drive gear disintegrated.  I was able to find every part imaginable but that drive gear is obsolete and not even available on eBay.  Only option is to buy a new rail set and convert it from belt to chain drive (waiting for delivery).

The question is, does anyone make a good garage door opener any more??  They all seem to be flimsy plastic POS's
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-07-04 3:55 PM (#95392 - in reply to #95390)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: NSR - Garage door openers

What can I say, I have a Sears I installed over thirty-five years ago when I built the garage, It still works good. You checked Consumers Union?
Doc Gardner
Posted 2019-07-04 3:56 PM (#95393 - in reply to #95390)

Master and Commander

When we moved in here we switched to Liftmaster belt drive. So far so good after two years
C Stafford
Posted 2019-07-04 6:28 PM (#95395 - in reply to #95390)
Senior Crew

Calif. just passed a law requiring all garage door openers to have a battery backup, in-case they loose electricity during a major fire. Seems like people are too dumb to pull the manual release to get out of their garage.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-07-04 7:58 PM (#95396 - in reply to #95390)
Master and Commander

I had an Overhead Door opener for 25 years.

When I got a new door, I replaced it with a chain drive Lift Master (3/4 HP) which is about 10 years old.

My problem is with the coil springs that cost $300 to replace every few years.

I have a single door for a two car garage.

Pig
Posted 2019-07-05 2:29 PM (#95398 - in reply to #95390)
Plankowner

It's problems like this that make me so thankful that I live in the Armed Forces Retirement Home (Old Navy Home). The biggest worry I've has this we was..., I'll have to get back to you on this, so far there haven't been any
rover177
Posted 2019-07-05 2:38 PM (#95400 - in reply to #95390)
Master and Commander

I was going to br flippant yesterday; will be today - its called a twist handle and a strong hand.

Seriously, never had problems with one; I do admit they are getting much smaller because of better batteries. Not having to get out of a dry car when it is raining buckets is a bonus.
fortyrod
Posted 2019-07-06 1:26 PM (#95404 - in reply to #95390)
Great Sage of the Sea

just be glad your not in Mexifornia

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/california-requires-new-garage-door-openers-to-be-equipped-with-battery-backup-041519.html
PaulR
Posted 2019-07-08 11:18 AM (#95416 - in reply to #95390)

Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2019-07-04 2:03 PMWe have a 3-bay garage and when we moved in two doors had older Genie openers on them which still work fine.  The Genie we installed on the 3rd door lasted about 18 months before the main circuit board FUBAR'd.  I was able to find a replacement board and all was well until a few days ago when the main drive gear disintegrated.  I was able to find every part imaginable but that drive gear is obsolete and not even available on eBay.  Only option is to buy a new rail set and convert it from belt to chain drive (waiting for delivery).

The question is, does anyone make a good garage door opener any more??  They all seem to be flimsy plastic POS's

one of my keypads started acting up...some numbers did not respond without extra pressure.  i ordered a used replacement from ebay...all good now.

the only other problem was broken spring that had to replaced.
Ric
Posted 2019-07-08 11:26 AM (#95418 - in reply to #95390)

Plankowner

I'm not having any issues with my opener....Oh, wait.... I don't have a garage..........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software