Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: On August 17, 1958, the USS SKATE circumnavigated the globe in about fifty minutes. The SKATE was at a radius of about two miles from the North Pole at the time, and the distance traveled in the circumnavigation was about twelve miles.
NR-1 page
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2019-07-08 11:23 AM (#95417)

Plankowner

Subject: NR-1 page

A friend sent me this page about the NR-1.
http://www.hisutton.com/NR-1.html

My NR-1 story:
On Feb 25, 1965 I was assigned to the USS Flasher SSN 613 at Electric Boat in Groton, CT.
While assigned there I had to walk around the shipyard from time to time. While needing to visit a dentist one day I had to walk through the North building ways. While passing through I got to see a number of subs under construction and many types of machines. One of which was rolling 6 inch thick plates for hull sections. Turns out these were for the NR-1 since "regular" subs didn't have hulls that thick. HY-100 steel. That picture has stuck in my head all these years.

Later in 1966 the yard was visited by the USS Marlin (T-2) one of two "sonar trainers" that were normally stationed at Key West so the Surface ships could practice finding submarines. Small subs with a crew of only 14 and one torpedo tube and carried 5 torpedoes. Anyway, turns out she was about the same size as the NR-1 and and was going to be used to test the wheel systems that was to go on the NR-1. Those trials ended after we had been commissioned and had left for Hawaii. Once trials were completed the wheels were removed and placed on the NR-1.

One of the officers we had aboard Flasher was a young Lieutenant JG named Michael McGowan. He was to later, as a Commander, given command of NR-1. One morning when driving to work he was killed in an auto accident. The man who took his place, Toby Warson, is a member of Seattle Sub Vets Base.

subsk
Posted 2019-07-08 11:53 AM (#95419 - in reply to #95417)
Mess cooking

Subject: RE: NR-1 page

Hi Ric;
I sailed with Toby Warson on James Madison. We commissioned her together. He was a great officer. If memory serves me, he was in
command of NR1 when she located the missing bomb in the Med. Pleas pass along my regards to Toby the next time you see him.
Bill Kreher SK2SS
Ric
Posted 2019-07-08 1:04 PM (#95420 - in reply to #95419)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: NR-1 page

Will do Bill
Runner485
Posted 2019-07-09 8:47 AM (#95423 - in reply to #95420)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ric-about that jumper

Ok Ric. I know that ain't your boot camp jumper...C'mon tell the truth now!
Ric
Posted 2019-07-09 10:24 AM (#95425 - in reply to #95423)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Ric-about that jumper

Of course not. I was 135 pounds in Boot and 145 most of my active duty. My gaberdines I haven't been able to get into since the 1970's. (They're still in my closet). A few years ago I was looking for something for a Halloween Dance costume and found this cheap and it fit, (then).

I lost so much weight from the Bypass I could fit back in it for Veterans Day parade. Sound fun so I wore it.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2019-07-09 11:27 AM (#95427 - in reply to #95425)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Ric-about that jumper

Like I said before, I still have my boot camp issue dress blues. The only thing that still fits is the photograph.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software