Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
Ross Perot - EDS
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-07-14 5:42 PM (#95451)
Master and Commander

Subject: Ross Perot - EDS

When I was discharged after 6 years, I flew from Rota SP to McGuire AFB, NJ and went on a bus to the Philadelphia Naval Base for processing.

I received some career counseling, resume writing training, cover letter writing, and job interview training.

I crafted a resume, edited it with some help and was given 20 copies. The YMC had asked me if I wanted to apply to some companies directly that specialized in hiring Navy veterans with technical skills.

One of those companies was EDS company; which years later I learned belonged to Ross Perot.

I received a call in a few weeks and went to Manhattan for an interview.

It all sounded swell until they told me I would train in Dallas for 6 months and then be sent overseas to a field office.

I had just left the Navy and was not looking for "world travel".

The interesting part of the interview was how much they knew about me and my naval career that was not on my resume.

Years later when Perot became more well known I learned he graduated from Annapolis and worked closely with the US Government.

Gil
Posted 2019-07-15 12:26 PM (#95452 - in reply to #95451)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Ross Perot - EDS

He sure was a character.  I watched his first debate and even wound up voting for him.  My first full time job after the navy and school was with Hughes Aircraft in the early 70's.  I had moved on, but later they were purchased by General Motors, which also purchased EDS from Perot.  Just because of that I became a fan of his.

On a side note, maybe because I was a reserve I never got career counseling when I got out in November of '68.  President Nixon let some reserves out six months early to save money and after my XO realized I didn't want to extend for four years I was just unceremoniously let go with my papers at dry dock.  I did get the G i Bill (wonderful), and so many cents a mile for transportation from Hunters Point, California to Terminal Island, California (roughly 400 miles).  I wondered if my boat had remained at Pearl how big my check would have been.

This started me thinking (not good), but other than one changing of the captain ceremony I don't remember any major goodbyes to  shipmates that left the our boat.  Dozier just kind of faded away and I was just happy that he was going to be a civilian again and worried if he had taught me chipping and wire brushing enough to pass it on.   Hell I don't even remember anything special for me when I received my dolphins.  I know CRS has taken over me these days, but maybe because I was only active duty for 18 months I just missed some of that.  I'm thinking other than one captain no other officers or chiefs were changed - maybe that also accounts for some of this.

Edited by Gil 2019-07-15 12:34 PM
fortyrod
Posted 2019-07-15 12:35 PM (#95454 - in reply to #95452)
Great Sage of the Sea

Gil - 2019-07-15 12:26 PM
On a side note, maybe because I was a reserve I never got career counseling when I got out />

Don't feel left out Gil. I retired in 87 and I didn't get any either. There is the door, see ya later.
Ric
Posted 2019-07-15 1:17 PM (#95455 - in reply to #95454)

Plankowner

June '68 Treasure Island was so full of people getting out I was held over 5 days for Admin reasons just to get me out the door. I don't remember any counseling other than a guy from the California Highway Patrol was there recruiting for guys 6 foot and and over to join up.
Nothing special when I left the boat. Tried to goodbye to some folks but most were busy. I ended up just walking away to the barracks and packing my bag.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2019-07-15 4:37 PM (#95457 - in reply to #95451)
Master and Commander

Perot didn't forget the POW's. Some prisoners in Vietnam said the North Vietnamese treated them better after Perot met with the North Vietnamese. Perot also assembled a rescue team when the Shah had two of his executives jailed in Iran. They assembled, trained and aborted the mission as too dangerous when they arrived in Iran. In the meantime the Rebels stormed the prison and released all the prisoners. The rescue team then drove the two newly released executives out of Iran and into Turkey. There was a book and docudrama made about the incident that greatly embellished the rescue. As normal, the embellished version became the so called truth. In reality, no shots were ever fired, and no daring escape ever took place. The fact still remains that Perot footed the bill for the rescue attempt of his people, no matter how it was accomplished. He was loyal to his people.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software