Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together.” -- Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this while talking to a non-navy type
Sunday afternoon movie
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2019-09-01 4:33 PM (#95778)

Plankowner

Subject: Sunday afternoon movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_JU_nfHdVk&list=PLO-ip6irIar4FBwOlX6GeZCaDfRlISACy

Away All Boats with Jeff Chandler
Holland Club
Posted 2019-09-01 4:46 PM (#95779 - in reply to #95778)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sunday afternoon movie

The flic was filmed on the USS Rockbridge (APA-228). If you happened to notice, everyone's lifejacket was being worn inside out because the ships SN is stenciiled on the life jacket and we couldn't let that show. Now could we? After all this was the "Belinda."

Anyway that is exactly how I spent 4 years of my life but on the AKA-19. I think we had more landing craft than the Rockbridge.

(USS Thuban (AKA-19).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments USS Thuban (AKA-19).jpg (74KB - 528 downloads)
Pedro
Posted 2019-09-01 8:31 PM (#95780 - in reply to #95778)

COMSUBBBS

Thank you for the link Ric, much appreciated. Saw it back in the mid-fifties but it was great to view it once again. Good storyline and excellent actors made it for me. Those ships and their landing craft had such an important role in the Pacific War but were possibly taken for granted when theirs was a vital task that required great courage and precision.

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2019-09-01 8:37 PM
Runner485
Posted 2019-09-02 6:06 AM (#95781 - in reply to #95778)

COMSUBBBS

A bit of personal history here. Away All Boats was playing when I had my first date with a girl who later became my wife a mere 4 years later. It was in '56. We married a year after I entered the Navy...Jan of 1960. Still married to her..gonna be 59 years this December.  I usta write on the walls,   JOE
                                                                               &
                                                                           Elsie
all over our NYC neighborhood
Pedro
Posted 2019-09-02 1:29 PM (#95782 - in reply to #95781)

COMSUBBBS

Joe,

I liked the idea that you were romantically marking your territory all over the walls of your part of New York City. I first dated Shirley in October of 1960 which is almost 59 years ago. We can’t match you and Elsie in years married but we finally got our act together and tied the knot making it all legal and above board for 52 years now.

A two year posting to the 4th Submarine Squadron in Sydney, Australia, didn’t help our pre-marriage period. Back then there were was no home leave to the UK and cheap long distance flights for friends and relatives were yet to be invented and implemented. Yet this beautiful, intelligent girl, surrounded by non-serving smooth- talking buggers waiting to move in, didn’t give up on me, and she waited for me to come home.

Today my still beautiful girl is in the cruel advanced stages of Alzheimer’s disease; every day I see her sailing past me into a darkness that I cannot share with her. But just every now and again I see her familiar smiling or grinning at me at some remark and these moments are heaven to me. Long live love my mate.

Pedro
Holland Club
Posted 2019-09-02 4:13 PM (#95783 - in reply to #95782)

Master and Commander

Pedro
you and your bride are in our evening prayers requesting Blessings for each of you.
Ron
Runner485
Posted 2019-09-03 5:06 AM (#95784 - in reply to #95782)

COMSUBBBS

"But just every now and again I see her familiar smiling or grinning at me at some remark and these moments are heaven to me. Long live love my mate."

Beautiful said Pedro....
Holland Club
Posted 2019-09-03 5:30 AM (#95785 - in reply to #95784)

Master and Commander

Totally agree. Whole post swiped and printed to share with my acquaintances here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software