Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
How was it for you?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2020-07-08 5:56 PM (#98049)

Plankowner

Subject: How was it for you?

I was chatting with a subsailor from Seattle Base today and the comment came up about being worn out on patrol and having channel fever and couldn't wait to get back to port. After a week or a few it is time to head back out and you were just as inpatient to get going. Set the maneuvering watch and get back out to sea. Longing to hear; "Secure the maneuvering watch, section two has the duty", and you hit your rack for some bunk time as the sea closes in over you.

I did enjoy going to sea. Not just weekend ops or that sort of thing but patrol.

Tom McNulty
Posted 2020-07-09 6:06 AM (#98051 - in reply to #98049)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: How was it for you?

It all depended on what you left behind. The travel from Groton to Holy Loch was tedious. Turn over was a good time to trade BS with the other crew. Reality sinks in when the diving alarm goes off and the routine begins. Arm the weapons system and then either hit the rack or enjoy fine dining. The first part of the run is full of NTINs. That starts again when cabin fever sets in. All the plans on what you're going to do, besides the obvious. The travel back to the states is even more tedious thanks to the aforementioned cabin fever. In a sense when it gets close to another run, there's a bit of anxiety but quickly dispersed when you get back to the boat.
Holland Club
Posted 2020-07-09 7:01 AM (#98052 - in reply to #98049)

Master and Commander

Agree. The worst duty was 'School boat' followed by PCO cruises. Give me the patrol duty anytime.
Ric
Posted 2020-07-09 7:28 AM (#98053 - in reply to #98049)

Plankowner

The one patrol I hated the most was a summer cruise carrying Middies. Out of the 10 or so we had only three would have made good sub officers. The rest were just full of themselves.
geno
Posted 2020-07-09 7:48 AM (#98054 - in reply to #98049)
Old Salt

I always liked going to sea and only had channel fever once. We did a week op with three midshipmen. They were pretty much a pain in the ass. No room in the wardroom so the COB had three skid bunks made on the deck of the torpedo room. None of the "Middies" would sleep there because they thought someone would step on them while they were asleep. So, a couple of non-quals who were tired of hot bunking move in after the TMLPO said no one was using the bunks. COB found out and was really pissed. Funniest thing however was in the middle of a dive at 400 feet the Skipper wanted to go to PD. The three "Middies" were sitting on tool boxes in and around Control. Diving Officer replies aye, aye Captain, both planes - all rise. In unison the three "Midddies" stood up. We laughed out ass off and when they caught on they were not amused.
Gil
Posted 2020-07-09 9:20 AM (#98055 - in reply to #98049)
Master and Commander

Going to sea for me was always made easier if I had no money left.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2020-07-09 10:49 AM (#98057 - in reply to #98053)

Master and Commander

The middies we took on patrol were berthed in Hanging Gardens. Not real popular with the normal senior E6s that slept there. Three had to give up their racks and move to the 40/80 club. They did not get much sleep as we all took turns making noise next to their racks. The door to the head was next to them so naturally anybody taking a dump left the door partly open. We gave them piping and electrical manuals and told them to start qualifications. The COB gave a wink and a nod so did the Wardroom. They had to learn the hard way, even though FBM, about conserving shower water. Take too long and the hot water valve got shut. WE told them it was metered so as to conserve hot water. Gullible was an under statement. I always wondered what stories would end up back at the academy.
mike652
Posted 2020-07-10 7:50 AM (#98058 - in reply to #98049)
Great Sage of the Sea

Speaking of middies; on one boat, in the eighties, we took a middie who was between his first and second year. His white hat still had the blue ring (he got rid of that very soon). He was a good sailor, great planesman and member of the Seaman gang.

On that same boat the new Eng reported aboard. I looked at him knowing I had seen the face someplace. I had. When I first saw him, in the early seventies, he looked like he was just a boy scout. He was a middie on my first boat!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software