Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: There are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines in the sky; therefore I chose submarines over aviation.
Eternal Patrol ~ Paul Wittmer (SubvetPaul)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2020-11-17 9:51 PM (#99705)

Plankowner

Subject: Eternal Patrol ~ Paul Wittmer (SubvetPaul)

Just got this from Paul Wittmers son:

1924 to 2020
On 12 November 2020, Wittmer, Paul W. (SubvetPaul) died at home as were his wishes. Survived by Eleanor, wife of 68 years, 3 children, 8 grandchildren, and 7 great grandchildren. He was active in two prominent Submarine Veteran organizations and served as a commandant at least once. He wrote about all submarine veterans lost during WWII making research trips to the National Archives for more than 30 years. He was presented with awards as a master researcher from the archives. He also published a compilation of stories from WWII crew members about their war patrols, Big Anthology. These were stories compiled over many years while he was editor of the Tinosa Blatt. His final publication is Spyron. It features Kit Parsons of Philippine guerrilla resistance fame. America's spy who set up the coastal watch, supplied fighters using dedicated American subs, and rescued hundreds of civilians from certain death by Japanese forces.

Paul was a WW II Submariner and one of the submarine services outstanding historians and has written many outstanding books on submarine history.

Sailor, Rest your oar! We have the watch!

Sid Harrison
Posted 2020-11-18 7:55 AM (#99706 - in reply to #99705)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Eternal Patrol ~ Paul Wittmer (SubvetPaul)

Hey Ric, guess I am a step behind you.
I had just ginned up this posting and when I clicked on Isee your's was already up.
Anyway the link info may be useful
====================

On 12 November 2020, Wittmer, Paul W. (SubvetPaul) died at home

Below is from an email I received this morning (18 Nov. 2020) from Gary Wittmer. Apparently they sent it to all in Paul Wittmer's email address folder.
Several years ago I did exchange emails with Paul. 

His website is not directly accessible - but through the INTERNET ARCHIVE it is.  It seems his site is archived intact as all of his links that I checked still work. There is so much history in there that perhaps USSVI should look into saving it online.

The archived URL is:  https://web.archive.org/web/20020720014713/http://subvetpaul.com/

Sid

------------------------------------

Copy of Gary's email:

On12 November 2020, Wittmer, Paul W. (SubvetPaul) died at home as were his wishes. Survived by Eleanor, wife of 68 years, 3 children, 8 grandchildren, and 7 great grandchildren. He was active in two prominent Submarine Veteran organizations and served as a commandant at least once. He wrote about all submarine veterans lost during WWII making research trips to the National Archives for more than 30years. He was presented with awards as a master researcher from the archives. He also published a compilation of stories from WWII crew members about their war patrols, Big Anthology. These were stories compiled over many years while he was editor of the Tinosa Blatt. His final publication is Spyron. It features Kit Parsons of Philippine guerrilla resistance fame. America's spy who set up the coastal watch, supplied fighters using dedicated American subs, and rescued hundreds of civilians from certain death by Japanese forces.
His Honor flight took place a few years ago when he was still able to stand. Recently he told me he could not count the number of depth charge attacks his boat, the Tinosa, had been through. "Too many to count" he said. In hindsight, 78 years of PTSD kept under wraps can explain a lot for this family. Much of his military duty being sworn to secrecy, the same was true of his personal life. He was one of the few Sailors chosen for the prize crew to bring the captured Japanese Imperial-401 from Tokyo to Honolulu. (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx2Bu-jnOs andalso a Japanese film interview) He was a submarine escape instructor in the 300' water tower. He tested the Navy's first re-breathers inthe Bahamas. Then, of course,  there were the stories of the doll from Japan and women in Perth, and Honolulu.  Paul eloped with Eleanor in 1950, but had a surprise wedding ceremony at Good Shepherd Lutheran for their 50th wedding anniversary. 
He was one of only two licensed professional engineers in the country who were grandfathered in without needing to complete an engineering bachelors degree, yet he spent years teaching new engineers how to do their jobs. Paul was the lead engineer for the machines that made the first version of plastic Coke bottles.  It was big as a house and spit out over 100 bottles per minute.  He also worked for M&M candy factory.
I remember the grocery bags of candy he brought home with errors or blemishes on the packaging. I remember stories of a hunting trip deepthe forests of Maine.  I remember camping trips in the Smoky's in a big surplus circus tent.  I remember trips to fire Island Beach NY, and the time his sky blue VW Karmann Ghia was stolen. I remember that Dad always was deeply involved in one project or another.  He made pastel portraits that still hang on the wall,was very involved in photography for a time, was an avid gardener,renovated a house in Connecticut, and made jewelry and bola ties for many years.  He even tried to learn how to play the organ. We learned that he had no rhythm. He researched and published the family genealogy back to the 13th century Holy Roman Empire and collaborated with family in Germany and France who were doing the same. Then there was a very large reunion in Baden-Württemberg.
Now he has departed on his eternal patrol. 
Toattend the ZOOM internet services send an email to: martacarp5@aol.com
Service will be informal with few family members in attendance.  All are welcome to join in the zoom remembrance to commence at 11am Central time Saturday 21 November.
A reception, and procession from home to National Cemetery will beplanned for when the weather is nice and the Pandemic is no longer a threat, most likely in the Spring.
Flowers may be sent to 17 Elannchester Dr, Manchester MO 63011. 
In lieu of Flowers, donations to Eleanor's account may be made using google pay to garywittmer@gmail.com,or 5623298103.  All donations will default directly to Mom's account.  
Dad dedicated his life (and savings) to researching and publishing his books.  The books will remain available.  I will forward orders to the publisher accordingly.  For any of publications,Submarine Veterans Lost 6 Volume, 200 or less, Spyron 40 or less, andBig Anthology 40 or less please place your request to me atGaryWittmer@gmail.com. If you pre-pay, just let me know in your email.  I say "orless" because the price from the publisher goes down for multiple printings.
Gary Wittmer

Ric
Posted 2020-11-18 10:05 AM (#99707 - in reply to #99706)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Eternal Patrol ~ Paul Wittmer (SubvetPaul)

Sid, good to hear from you.
Yes, I received that exact email but chose to not post the whole thing.

I've emailed with Paul on several occasions and I own his 6 volume set of the complete bios of all the men lost on subs in WW II. It was worth every penny.
The man was a treasure trove of information and will be sorely missed.

How have you been doing?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software