Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Records for enemy shipping sunk by U.S. submarines during World War II are held by two boats built by Electric Boat. The USS FLASHER sank 100,231 tons of Japanese shipping, while the USS TAUTOG holds the record for the most ships - 26.
Veterans Tribute
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2007-11-07 2:04 PM (#9013)

Plankowner

Subject: Veterans Tribute

I was looking at some of the veterans tributes on YouTube and as I started to play this one I saw a name. As soon as the video begins and the little girl is shown STOP the video! The name she is touching or the one above it is my high school class mate Frank Bozzello. I will visit his grave this weekend and a few others also. The traveling Wall is always in Auburn Washington, where our parade is, for Veterans Day and I will visit there also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNkXLe9e0

crystal
Posted 2007-11-07 10:17 PM (#9028 - in reply to #9013)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Veterans Tribute

A 21 year old 2nd Lieutenant - damn shame for all of those kids.  I have a few friends names on the wall myself - can't visit that damn thing, too painful to see all the names, did it once in D.C. - never again. 

Seeing your picture of Frank's marker brings up visions of the pony soldiers and the Gary Owen being played as Custer marches off to his slaughter about a hundred years before - we don't learn fast do we? 

crystal
Posted 2007-11-08 7:34 AM (#9034 - in reply to #9013)

Master and Commander

I've posted a tribute to Frank and his 7th Cav History at:

http://www.usssealion.com/sealion/images/featured_picture.htm

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-11-08 10:23 PM (#9052 - in reply to #9028)

Great Sage of the Sea

crystal - 2007-11-07 8:17 PM

A 21 year old 2nd Lieutenant - damn shame for all of those kids.  I have a few friends names on the wall myself - can't visit that damn thing, too painful to see all the names, did it once in D.C. - never again. 

Seeing your picture of Frank's marker brings up visions of the pony soldiers and the Gary Owen being played as Custer marches off to his slaughter about a hundred years before - we don't learn fast do we? 

As long as there is evil in the world -
As long as there are tyrants who value power and wealth more than the rights and lives of their citizens -
Good young men and women will be sacrificed on the altar of war.

We who served know full well that Freedom is not free - we volunteered to pay the price.

Those of us who were NOT required to give that "last, full measure of devotion" remember and honor those who did. We work diligently to insure that they have not died in vain, and we work to insure that when the call comes again, there will be freedom-loving people ready to meet the new challenge.

May God continue to Bless these United States, and all who Serve, wherever they may be.

donmac
Posted 2007-11-08 11:24 PM (#9053 - in reply to #9052)

Senior Crew

Donald L. Johnson - 2007-11-08 8:23 PM
As long as there are tyrants who value power and wealth more than the rights and lives of their citizens -
We who served know full well that Freedom is not free - we volunteered to pay the price.
Those of us who were NOT required to give that "last, full measure of devotion" remember and honor those who did. We work diligently to insure that they have not died in vain, and we work to insure that when the call comes again, there will be freedom-loving people ready to meet the new challenge.
May God continue to Bless these United States, and all who Serve, wherever they may be.

I reading the above words, I have faint memory that they are taken from a writing, poem, story
from some source. In posting the words, are you paraphrasing, a direct quote, or just your words.
Sure sounds good to me.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-11-10 11:04 PM (#9105 - in reply to #9053)

Great Sage of the Sea

donmac - 2007-11-08 9:24 PM

Donald L. Johnson - 2007-11-08 8:23 PM

I reading the above words, I have faint memory that they are taken from a writing, poem, story
from some source. In posting the words, are you paraphrasing, a direct quote, or just your words.
Sure sounds good to me.

They are my own thoughts and composition. They are probably influenced by other things I have read and heard, but I could not cite sources to save my life, except:

"Freedom is not free" is a well-known catch-phrase.

"last, full measure of devotion" is from President Lincoln's Gettysburg Adress, thus the quotation marks. What follows that was probably also inspired by the Address.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software