Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
Veterans Day
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Roy Ator
Posted 2007-11-08 8:46 PM (#9048)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Veterans Day

Yesterday was another terrific experience working with school kids. It was frustrating when a couple of my prime scheduled speakers had to cancel on short notice due to personal issues. However, it turned out to be a terrific day! We spent several hours with 325 students plus about 15 faculty & staff & some senior guests. A real "pump up" on patriotism just prior to Veterans Day weekend! I had an Army bird colonel paratrooper retired, 30 years (132 jumps worldwide) & a Vietnam vet teamed up with a female Chief Master Sargent active duty USAF 29 years that put on one heck of an act! Check out the slide show linked above.

BTW, my home PC crashed a few days ago (hardware failure) & in addtion to a bunch of stuff I lost some of your Email addresses. If'n you want to hear from me drop me a line: royator@lipan.net
I'm now learning MS Vista Home Premium~ ~ ~
Sure miss my old MS XP Pro that was solid for a long time!
Still using Mozilla & AVG! Dumped Norton...

I plan to participate in the Ft Worth Veterans Parade Saturday on our submarine float 0730-1400 time frame.

Edited by Roy Ator 2007-11-08 8:49 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software