Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
USS Rio? Ever heard of it?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-13 5:41 AM (#9160)

Senior Crew

Subject: USS Rio? Ever heard of it?

According to the papers that my grandfather filled out to join the USSVWWII back in the early 1990s, he said he worked on a "relief crew for the USS Rio at Midway Island". I have searched and searched and I can't find out anything about a USS Rio. I have searched and found a tanker named the USS Rio GRANDE however.

My grandfather was on Midway Island from mid-February 1944 (recovering from a mouth cyst) through mid-July 1944 (when he left on the USS Tambor). It was during this time I feel certain that he did work on relief crews.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Brian Flynn
Posted 2007-11-14 6:34 AM (#9184 - in reply to #9160)
Mess cooking

Subject: RE: USS Rio? Ever heard of it?

I've never heard of a submarine Rio and I believe the USS Aegir (AS-23) was the sub tender at Midway in 1944...that's second or third hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt. What was your Grandfather's name? Perhaps someone with some information about Tambor might know something.

Brian
snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-14 3:49 PM (#9197 - in reply to #9160)

Senior Crew

Shelton Doyle Blalock, EM3/C was his name.

A "relief crew" would be a "refit crew" right?
1oldman
Posted 2008-06-16 12:25 AM (#16745 - in reply to #9160)

There is no listing of a USS Rio as a submarine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarines_of_the_United_States_Navy
snakeyez
Posted 2008-06-16 3:43 PM (#16751 - in reply to #9160)

Senior Crew

I had my stories mixed up, somewhat. He served on the R-10 (looked like Rio as it was written), but I'm sure it was only as training.
1oldman
Posted 2008-06-16 4:49 PM (#16755 - in reply to #16751)

snakeyez - 2008-06-16 3:43 PM

I had my stories mixed up, somewhat. He served on the R-10 (looked like Rio as it was written), but I'm sure it was only as training.

Snakeyez, that's certainly an easy mistake to make when you're trying to translate from someones handwriting. I have a terrible time deciphering my grandfathers.
Here's some skinny on the R-10 but it doesn't look like it was ever at Midway although it did serve during WWII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_R-10_%28SS-87%29

Edited by 1oldman 2008-06-16 5:03 PM
viejo
Posted 2009-01-03 4:37 PM (#23141 - in reply to #9160)

Senior Crew

Lance according to Danfs http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/submar/ss87.htm the R-10 never left the east coast during the 40s, but in the 20s she was making runs to Midway.
R-10 arrived at San Pedro on 30 June for a 2-year tour. Toward the end of September, she added salvage operations to her record as she assisted Cardinal in raising R-6 from the bottom of San Pedro Harbor 13 October, then resumed individual and squadron exercises. In July 1923, the R-boat shifted to Pearl Harbor where, for the next 7 1/2 years she conducted training operations, including fleet problems, made occasional runs as far west as Midway and as far east as the west coast, and participated in air-sea rescue operations for planes initiating transpacific air travel. Ordered back to the Atlantic in 1930, R-10 cleared Pearl Harbor for the last time on 12 December. On 9 February 1931, she arrived at New London and assumed training duties for the Submarine School there. During the spring, she underwent overhaul at Portsmouth, N.H., and in the summer added ASW destroyer training and NROTC cruises to her mission. Through the decade she continued her role as a training submarine and operated primarily off the New England coast with occasional temporary duty at stations on the mid-Atlantic seaboard, including the Diving School at Piney Point, Md., in May 1937.

In September 1940, R-10 participated in Bureau of Ordnance tests at Norfolk, then returned to New London. The following year she was transferred to Key West. From 1941 until the winter of 1943, she alternated patrols in the Yucatan Channel and the Florida Straits with operations for the Fleet Sonar School at Key West. Then, for the remainder of World War II, she concentrated on training duties. During February and into March of 1945 she operated out of Port Everglades then returned to Key West where she remained until 4 June. On that date R-10 headed north for Philadelphia and inactivation. Arriving on the 8th, she decommissioned on the 18th and was struck from the Navy list 11 July. In January 1946 she was sold for scrap to the North American Smelting Co., Philadelphia, Pa.

I don't know if you knew or not, but this site here, http://www.navsource.org/ gives a lot of info on all types of ships just go down on the left and click on submarines, then go down and click on R boats, then that will take you to the photo index and that will let you find the R-10( SS-87) Under the pictures is a line
View the R-10 (SS-87)
DANFS history entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Web Site Click on the word Danfs and it will take you to the hazegray pages.
OR if you take the basic address for sub photos http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08589.htm
and where you see the 08589, just change the last three digits to what ever sub you want, it will come up with photos and info on each. For the R-10, I used it's SS-087, so put in 087 and it came up as
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08087.htm and showed pictures and some history of it.
I figured that out when doing my first frappr map.
Viejo
snakeyez
Posted 2009-01-05 7:01 PM (#23221 - in reply to #9160)

Senior Crew

Thanks Bill. I'm hoping that if I get a copy of his OMPF then I'll learn when he was on the R-10. It just had to be sometime between his graduation from U.S. Naval Training Station in Great Lakes, Illinois on March 1, 1943 and when he left the east coast on the USS Sandlance on December 18, 1943.

He went straight to Submarine School at New London after he left Great Lakes, and graduated from Submarine School July 12, 1943. But during this time the R-10 was down around Florida. It's just odd.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software