Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: “What wordy praise can one give such men as these; men who … follow unhesitatingly when in the vicinity of minefields so long as there is the possibility of targets … Men who flinch not with the fathometer ticking off two fathoms beneath the keel … Men who will fight to the last bullet and then start throwing the empty shell cases. These are submariners.” - Eugene Fluckey in his final war patrol report aboard USS Barb
Ship's Bell
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

Boomer
Posted 2007-12-04 1:03 PM (#9871)

Mess cooking

Subject: Ship's Bell

Another question regarding a diesel boat's configuration when submerged.  Was the ship's bell or it's clapper stowed below when rigging for dive?  If not, would it become a source of noise?

Thanks again.  More details concerning the model I'm building.

whalen
Posted 2007-12-05 11:19 AM (#9908 - in reply to #9871)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Ship's Bell

RANKOON?  WHAT THE HELL IS A RANKOON?

When I was on the Jallao, I looked, but never found, the ship's bell.  (I was a QM it was kinda important.)  Then I went to the museum up in Manitowoc, and there it was.  I guess if you keep it in a glass case in Wisconsin, you don't have to worry about it making noise while submerged.

TSpoon
Posted 2007-12-05 7:47 PM (#9932 - in reply to #9871)
Great Sage of the Sea

Aboard the Tirante in the 1960s the cooks were responsible for the bell. It was mounted aft of the sail in port and the cook had to bring it below when setting the maneuvering watch. It was moounted to a short pipe that would slip into a hole on the sail. It was stored in one of the bench seats. I think the mess cooks had to polish it.

Today it resides with an old Tirante mate in Alabama.

T.spoon, DBF
louverhead
Posted 2007-12-06 7:36 AM (#9942 - in reply to #9871)
Mess cooking

The bell for the USS Cubera SS-347 is mounted on the forward deck of the USS Cod SS-224. I proudly served on both of these submarines.
Boomer
Posted 2007-12-06 2:48 PM (#9950 - in reply to #9871)

Mess cooking

Thank you all for your inputs.  I think I'll run with TSPoon's comments regarding the cooks being responsible for bringing the bell below when the maneuvering watch was set.  Makes the most sense plus now I don't have to build a 1/192 bell!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software