Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Habitability is heavily stressed in the construction of modern submarines. Specially designed color schemes, mechanical conveniences, air conditioning, and the best chow in the Navy are supplied to make the vessels more livable. A full time staff is maintained by Electric Boat Division to work out 'human engineering' problems.
How I got there.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> How I Got Into SubmarinesMessage format

Buff
Posted 2006-12-17 10:32 PM (#972)
Crew

Subject: How I got there.

While as a senior in high school I met the local Navy recruiter who happened to be an RM1 (SS). The town of Marysville, Ca is an Air Force town and I was fed up with "Air Force". I talked with the RM1. He didn't feed me a line of bull about boot camp or the Navy. He told me the "straight skinny"! I joined up as an Auxiliaryman. Went to Great Lakes for MM "A" school, Groton for Sub School, and Charleston for Submarine Auxiliaryman School. I got orders to the USS Aspro (SSN648) in PSNS (Bremerton,Wa). I was on Aspro for
5 1/2 years. After Aspro I went to Trident Training Facility, Bangor, Wa for 3 1/2 years.
After TRITRAFAC, I got orders to USS Puffer (SSN652) in PSNS (again). I don't recall deliberately making my detailer mad but I must have. All I was hoping for was to catch a different class boat to possibly expand my "knowledge and horizons". Oh well. After 4 years on Puffer I got out of the Navy in San Diego in December 1990 as an MM1 (SS).
I still keep in contact with many of my old shipmates and I'll be a Submariner 'til I die!

Thanks,
Buff

nhegge
Posted 2007-03-11 5:46 PM (#2679 - in reply to #972)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: How I got there.

USS PUFFER 74-75 , bomb operator , grew up in Brookings OREGON , glad to meet ya.

Edited by nhegge 2007-03-11 5:47 PM
Buff
Posted 2007-03-13 7:54 PM (#2746 - in reply to #2679)
Crew

Back at ya, Shipmate! Thought you would like to know we took care of her (Puffer) even long after you were gone. You know us A-Gangers are kinda "touchy" when it comes to who's taking care of the "ol girl".

Later,
Buff
Old Goat
Posted 2007-12-28 11:05 AM (#10821 - in reply to #972)
New on board

Typical A-Ganger, has to do it the most difficult way possible. We TMs know that you get into submarines through the hatch, just like the torpedos do. Now they have gone and combined the rates and made us all MMs. I feel dimmer already.
BlackBeard
Posted 2007-12-28 2:05 PM (#10826 - in reply to #972)

Great Sage of the Sea

Did either of you Puffer sailors serve with Vic "Bigfoot" Van Horn? I can't remember what years he served on her but I know he loved his time onboard. I got the annual Christmas letter from Crystal and the kids are doing great. Dustin has a little girl of his own now and Chelsea is doing great. They both got Vic's height with Dustin over 6' and Chelsea right near there.
Here's to Vic and his memory.

BB
Buff
Posted 2008-05-08 10:48 AM (#15728 - in reply to #10826)
Crew

Hi Blackbeard,
He doesn't sound familiar. But, I'll search my archives. All the best to you and yours!

Buff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software