Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
World War II U.S. Submariner POWs
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

smoore3
Posted 2008-02-29 6:41 AM (#13317)
Subject: World War II U.S. Submariner POWs

The Naval Institute Press will be publishing my book "Presumed Lost" around the first of 2009. It covers the U.S. subs Perch, Grenadier, Tang, Robalo, S-44, Sculpin, and Tullibee and the ordeals the survivors of these boats went through as POWs of Japan before returning home.

I am interested in family members who might care to submit wartime-era photos of their veteran who was lost or became a POW from these boats. Also, would like any stories from families I have not yet contacted.

Regards,

Stephen L. Moore
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software