Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The self-propelled torpedo, which gets its name from the eel TORPEDO ELECTRICUS, was invented by Robert Whitehead in 1868, a number of years before a practical submarine was developed.
WWII deck gun crew setup
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2008-04-11 12:08 PM (#14889)

Senior Crew

Subject: WWII deck gun crew setup

I'm trying to clear my mind here. I know that my grandfather was part of the 5" gun crew on both the USS Sand Lance and the USS Tambor. I have video saying that he was the trainer while on board the Sand Lance, not the pointer. I know that he still manned a position on the Tambor's 5" gun, and I assumed it was as the trainer as well. On the Tambor's 12th and final war patrol, while taking part in Burt's Brooms, I have the following copied directly from Commander W.J. Germershausen's notes:

"The trainer on Tambor's 5" gun received a serious leg wound from an enemy shell. He was carried below to the wardroom, which is used as a battle dressing station during gun action. This man was Robert E. Baggett, a motor machinist's mate.

I sent a message reporting the casualty. COMSUBPAC ordered us to rendezvous with U.S.S. Grayson (DD435), which we did two days later. On November 18, Grayson sent over a medical officer by breeches buoy. He examined the wounded and decided they could be moved by Stokes stretcher. Having some doubts about the Stokes stretcher in the fairly heavy seas running, I sent over the wounded Japanese sailor first. He made it safely so I sent Baggett over. The healthy Jap and the doctor went over by breeches buoy."

So what I'm asking here is, were there multiple crew members who manned the trainer spot on the 5" gun? Did the pointer and trainer sometimes swap positions?
Warshot
Posted 2008-04-14 1:32 PM (#14986 - in reply to #14889)
WWII Sub Vet

Subject: RE: WWII deck gun crew setup

Usualy the two jobs were seperate and distinct. They were held by the same men until they were transferred off the boat. Never saw any "Switching".

Warshot
snakeyez
Posted 2008-04-14 3:02 PM (#14988 - in reply to #14889)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: WWII deck gun crew setup

Thank you for the reply Ron.

Well, I can only think of 2 possibilities:

1) My grandfather mistakenly said he was the trainer at the time and was the pointer instead

or

2) My grandfather took over the trainer position after Robert E. Baggett was wounded.

Either way, wow, what a story!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software