Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
WW II subs
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

tidd
Posted 2008-07-16 7:12 AM (#17589)
Subject: WW II subs

I would like to discuss the operation of a WW II in depth. Any takers?
Dave S.
Posted 2008-07-17 8:02 AM (#17617 - in reply to #17589)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: WW II subs

Bill,

You may want to go ahead and post your thoughts and questions for discussion in the regular discussion area. I'm not sure how many people check this section.

My own experience is with nuclear boats, so I probably won't have all the information on specific WWII boat operations, but I'm willing to talk about it.
tidd
Posted 2008-07-17 2:22 PM (#17621 - in reply to #17617)

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that some traditions have not changed. Here is the request I sent to the Naval Academy Library. Any Thoughts???

I am writing a novel on a sub that is lost in 1937 and found again in 2008. as a model, I am using the V-9.

Here are the questions:

1. If the main induction valve fails, will the flapper valve automatically stop the flow of water or will manuevering flood?
2. Was there bulkheads that could have been secured to isolate the compartment?
3. Over sixty years, would the total sub be full of water due to condensation?
4. Can the control room isolate the main induction or flapper valves., therefore preventing a flood condition.
5. Will flooding short out the batteries or electric motors, if water enters the compartments?
6 Can the drain pump keep up with the amount of water that would be coming trought the induction system?
7. If all ballast were blow, and there were no electrical power, would the sub slowly rise to the surface with the manueveing room flooded.

Dave S.
Posted 2008-07-18 8:24 AM (#17636 - in reply to #17621)

Senior Crew

Bill,

I'm not real familiar with the V-9 (I'm assuming you are talking about SS-171, which was later named Cuttlefish), but I'll post some general answers.

First off, you may want to look for a book called 'U.S. Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History' by Norman Friedman. If your local library doesn't have a copy, you can probably get it through inter-library loan. It has design information about US subs and will have information on the class.

You may also want to look into the sinking of the Squalus due to a catastrophic valve failure during a test dive (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq99-1.htm).

From what I remember this class was one of the early attempts at a crusier type submarine based on some German ideas from WWI, but that the desgin was not completely successful and the two boats in the class were relegated to training duty during WWII (although I believe both did make some war patrols).

On to your questions:
1. I'm not really sure about this, but I would guess that the flapper wouldn't hold back all the water, but it may depend on the depth.

2. There are several watertight compartments in all US subs of this era. While I'm not sure of the actual internal arrangement, I would expect that the compartment could be isolated.

3. I don't really know the answer to this, but I would think that you would only get condensation until all the water vapor in the air has condensed. Howevver the seals on the watertight doors may deteriorate and you could get some leakage by the seals.

4. I'm not sure on this class, but I would think that there would be some isolation valves for this.

5. It can, although I would expect the breakers to trip to isolate shorted components. Also, when seawater reaches the batteries, you would have to worry about the production of chlorine gas from the battery electrolyte.

6. I do not know the capacity of the drain pump on this class. My first guess would be no, but it may depend on the depth of the sub since the pressure the pump needs to overcome to pump water out will increase as depth increases.

7. Most subs are designed to be able to get back to the surface with one compartment flooded. I don't know exactly about this class, but I would guess yes. The Squalus case may be able to provide some more ideas on this.

Dave

tidd - 2008-07-17 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that some traditions have not changed. Here is the request I sent to the Naval Academy Library. Any Thoughts???

I am writing a novel on a sub that is lost in 1937 and found again in 2008. as a model, I am using the V-9.

Here are the questions:

1. If the main induction valve fails, will the flapper valve automatically stop the flow of water or will manuevering flood?
2. Was there bulkheads that could have been secured to isolate the compartment?
3. Over sixty years, would the total sub be full of water due to condensation?
4. Can the control room isolate the main induction or flapper valves., therefore preventing a flood condition.
5. Will flooding short out the batteries or electric motors, if water enters the compartments?
6 Can the drain pump keep up with the amount of water that would be coming trought the induction system?
7. If all ballast were blow, and there were no electrical power, would the sub slowly rise to the surface with the manueveing room flooded.

tidd
Posted 2008-07-18 11:31 AM (#17640 - in reply to #17636)

Sure makes research fun... sooooo many thoughts, sooooooo little facts. Each time I get an input I learn something new. If I ever get this novel written, at least the pages will contain the best info available. Thanks again - Flyboy
GaryKC
Posted 2008-07-29 7:39 PM (#18073 - in reply to #17589)

COMSUBBBS

Bill, you would be wise to post your questions individually in the main submarine forum. They will be few, if any Cuttlefish veterans, but many diesel boat sailors of later classes. Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software