Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Another Running Gun battle.....Destroyer Gunning, Wahoo Running” -- Wahoo (SS-238) after hitting a convoy, now out of fish, and heading for the barn......
Agency Owned Boats
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2008-07-31 11:55 AM (#18157)
Senior Crew

Subject: Agency Owned Boats

Here's a question for you guys.

Which WESTERN Secret Service owned their own submarines in the 40's, 50's and early 60's with crews who were agents (NOT Navy) and where were they based? Remember, these boats belonged to that Nation's, 'Secret Service.'

So, they owned the boats and the crews were directly employed by that service. By Secret Service I mean anything from Mossad, Deuxieme Bureau, CIA, MI6 etc, etc.

Note: There's NOTHING at all classified in this and it's research-able on the web.

Hairy of the Bilge.

Be yourself! No-one else is qualified!

Hairball
Posted 2008-08-01 8:45 AM (#18178 - in reply to #18157)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Agency Owned Boats - UNCLASS

My source is a book called, "Spy Catcher," by Peter Wright (Publisher, Viking Penguin Inc.) and be assured, there is nothing here that is not in the Public Domain... i.e. UNCLASSIFIED / DECLASSIFIED.

OK... it was the British MI6 (London station, commanded by Nicholas Elliott) and the Boats were the British X Class mini subs operating out of Stokes Bay along the coast from Portsmouth. Crew and Boat were MI6. The same type that had laid charges under the (or so I believe, might be another battleship) Tirpits in a Norwiegan Fjord during the war. This class of boat was used well into the 60's and was quite successful. Interesting point, they used London Bus engines when surfaced and made 12 to 15 kts but there was no CT, so surface running with the main hatch open in bad weather could not be done, instead relying on a Main Induction mast (not sure on this, info please). But I believe they had a good submerged endurance and depth, again not sure.

In 1955 the British MI6 mounted an operation using these boats in an effort to measure the props of the Soviet Battleship, 'Ordzhonikidze,' while SHE WAS IN PORT way... up north. The Royal Navy wanted to measure the props because they could not understand her fast seep. The X-Boats had been modified to have, Dry compartments. But the security was too tight and the mission was a failure but, thank God, the Soviets didn't know and no lives were lost.

Those of you who know the X-Class know that she obviously didn't get there under her own power and must have been towed. During the war they were towed while submerged to the target area and one has to wonder at the skill of the Diving Officer. Nylon tow-ropes were used as the heavier hemp ropes would act as a tremendous bow weight and she would (and had done until nylon ropes) dive at a steep angle... none recovered when that happened. Nylon, being buoyant, prevented this.

I thought this might have garnered more interest on this... But then I realize that, at first glance, this might seem to be an imprudent post. But as I say, my source is a published in a book. So... no feathers ruffled I trust.

The book itself opens up a can of worms, especially about the Brit MI5 and 6's relationship with American opposite numbers. It was believed that the Brits had more moles than my garden and from what I have read, they were bloody right. Sadly the tradition of recruiting from university chums (Oxford and Cambridge) in the belief that the, 'Old School Tie,' network substituted for good background checks was the norm, which is utter nonsense. The, 'Old Boy,' system is Bullsh*t. Security relations between England and the United States Agencies became very strained. Read, "Spy Catcher," by Peter Wright... I recommend it.

Cheers, Hairball.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software