Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS TRITON, the only American made twin reactor submarine ever built, on May 10, 1960, completed the first totally submerged non-trivial circumnavigation of the world when she followed the route of Ferdinand Magellan for 36,000 miles during 84 days beneath the surface.
Lots of Questions
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Serious Submarine ResearchMessage format

Roylik
Posted 2008-08-16 8:46 AM (#18631)
Subject: Lots of Questions

First let me say that I have never been on a sub, but I did serve in the Army for a number of years.

I come to this forum seeking advice, and insight to how a sub feels when it is moving in the water, the feeling that come by having to stear mostly without sight, and others. The reason for this is that there is a Story/Game that is being created dealing with space. Small craft, to larger ones that may or not be engaged in cat and mouse games using only sensors. The other reasons is that in the ruls of this story/game, ship have nearly no windows, and use weapons very similar to subs.

I would appreciate any insight, stoiries, or other information that could help me understand how to explain, how to describe, and draw images.

Thanks.

Roylik
Green Bay, WI.
C Stafford
Posted 2008-08-19 9:28 AM (#18756 - in reply to #18631)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Lots of Questions

Moving on a submarine is similar to being on an airplane without windows. On a submarine, if you are deep enough to not be influenced by surface waves, everything depends on the speed of the boat. At slow speeds you do not feel anything. As you reach higher speeds, you can feel the side to side turns and feel vibration. At maximum speed, it is just like flying because you bank into the turns.
Navigation inputs come from the boats speed, depth, and compass heading. It would be like flying only on instruments.
nancy
Posted 2008-09-10 2:55 PM (#19516 - in reply to #18631)

Old Salt

Here's a fact sheet from Chief of Operations, Submarine Warfare. Needs a bit of updating, but good place to start for submarine info, what it's like to serve aboard.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html 

Someone in another forum suggested: Think of John Madden's 45-foot bus with blacked out windows, 50 passengers taking turns sleeping in narrow beds, working and eating, and depending on instruments, sonar to navigate, listen for enemy -- be it the sea itself, a ship or boat. 

Each passenger must qualify to know about all parts of the bus. And each must thoroughly trust the other. They know that if one of them parishes, they all will.

Travel like this for two or three months with little communications from the outside world, no views of sunny days or moonlit nights.

And there'll be no bragging by the passengers when they get home. If the bus passengers are submariners, members of The Silent Service, they'll likely respond to, "Where did you go, what did you do?" with "We went out, we came back."

Edited by nancy 2008-09-10 2:58 PM

Lee Davenport
Posted 2009-02-07 1:07 PM (#24126 - in reply to #18631)
Crew

I can only answer as to Diesel boats and the one Boomer I rode. Since the missile sub(boomer) was on patrol, we very seldom went any faster than just bare steerage speed. (IE: just enough speed so that the rudder, and planes would work. This was about like sitting in your basement den, with no windows, TV, etc. We did have many reels of music that could be piped throughout the boat to entertain the crew. There was only a couple of times when we went at what we considered high speed (19 knots). Once when we went from Holy Loch to Cape Canaveral to test fire some missiles, and the other time when we returned to New London to go into overhaul. Running that big monster at 19 knots created a lot of vibration. It would literally shake things apart.. The diesel boats were, for the most part very slow underwater. They were basically a surface ship that had the capacity to submerge and surface. The time submerged was not very long, probably about 8 - 10 hours at the most. They mostly traveled on the surface like any other ship. On the surface, since they were more or less round, they rolled quite a bit, especially if traveling crosswise to the waves.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software