Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The Grampus and Pike were commissioned in ceremonies at Mare Island the same day, Thursday, the 28th of May 1903. A young naval officer, Lieutenant Arthur MacArthur III, older brother of General Douglas MacArthur, assumed command for both vessels at the same time.
Lovely weather you have here...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-02 6:41 AM (#24721)

Master and Commander

Subject: Lovely weather you have here...

...shame there is no snow though! lol

How come you lucky East Coasters are having all the fun whilst I am here in Belvidere, 13f but no snow?

Life just ain't fair!

Blue *_*
TSpoon
Posted 2009-03-02 7:01 AM (#24722 - in reply to #24721)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Lovely weather you have here...

Welcome to sunny California Blue. We have been in a drought situation for three years but for some reason the forecast is rain for the next week.

I plan to be aboard the Pampanito on the 11th to finally meet you in person. I had to promise my wife lunch on the pier so hopefully Kathy will be with you.

T.Spoon, DBF
subvetss
Posted 2009-03-02 7:02 AM (#24723 - in reply to #24721)
Senior Crew

Your right Blue! Conditions are so severe here in Ft. Pierce, Fl. that the snowplow has my driveway blocked. No! Wait! That's not the snowplow, it's the lawnmower.
Joe'the'Most
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-02 7:41 AM (#24725 - in reply to #24721)

COMSUBBBS

Dear Blue,

Thank you for bringing your lovely winter weather with you...it's about 19 degrees here in the foothills of the Catskills and the snow is
coming down...AGAIN...there was a little break...for all of about 30 seconds...and when they close the schools in NYC...you know
it's bad.

All I can hope for...is that you bring that lovely CA weather with you when you come East...and I don't mean the rain.

Oh, also...I want to also thank you for bringing the "entertainment"...let me elaborate...if anyone was just watching the "Today Show",
it's "Australia Day", and they flew in 3 of the dancers from the Chippendale's show in Las Vegas called "Thunder from Down Under"...so,
"Good Day, Mate"...

Have a great time out there...and safe trip East.

(100_3260A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3260A.jpg (21KB - 701 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-03-02 8:53 AM (#24727 - in reply to #24721)
COMSUBBBS

Welcome Stateside, Mate. You just got here so standby the weather will change on your account.
Sure would be nice if Patti would not post those indecent pictures.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-03-02 8:54 AM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-02 9:21 AM (#24728 - in reply to #24722)

Master and Commander

Subject: Yes, Kathy will be there on the 11th....

....and we are both looking forward to catching up with old and new shipmates alike.

My 3rd time visiting CA since I first came onto the BBS's so 3rd time lucky to meet you!

We haven't made any plans as yet with SOB wrt to wat time we are meeting up a Fisherman's Wharf on the 11th. Do you have any idea what time?....and I am assuming we are meeting at the PAMPANITO.

Cheers, looking forward to it.

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-02 9:22 AM (#24729 - in reply to #24723)

Master and Commander

lol...I am sure those knee deep in snow can see the funny side of that comment!

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-02 9:24 AM (#24730 - in reply to #24725)

Master and Commander

miss lumpy bumps - 2009-03-02 9:41 PM

Oh, also...I want to also thank you for bringing the "entertainment"...let me elaborate...if anyone was just watching the "Today Show",
it's "Australia Day", and they flew in 3 of the dancers from the Chippendale's show in Las Vegas called "Thunder from Down Under"...so,
"Good Day, Mate"...

Have a great time out there...and safe trip East.

Must have been a replay as Australia Day is the 26th of January!

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-02 9:26 AM (#24731 - in reply to #24727)

Master and Commander

Yes Ralph, I believe the weather is warming up, here in Belvidere at least.

Blue *_*
Runner485
Posted 2009-03-02 9:53 AM (#24732 - in reply to #24725)

COMSUBBBS

Patti,
While we have snow here in Lower, Slower, your photo reminds me why we moved from Rockland County to Delaware. Sun is peeking in and out here and hopefully the snow will begin to melt tomorrow...too cold today for that....25 and holding.  
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-03-02 10:00 AM (#24733 - in reply to #24731)

Master and Commander

Blue, I hope you get all this foolishness out of your system by St Patty's Day.
Don't bring any of it to DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-03-02 12:05 PM (#24737 - in reply to #24721)
Great Sage of the Sea

Blue,
The best place to meet is at the Pampanito. We should get there mid-morning depending on the traffic.
I think SOB gets there about that time also. They open the pier about 0900 or earlier if you can yell loud enough to get their attention. Be good to finally get to meet you in person.

I have tried to explain your and Kathy's courtship to my wife and she is anxious to see if I am really telling her the truth.LOL She did make a dependents cruise aboard the Ronquil in 1967 so understands us enough to not question that which seems strange.LOL

See you then,

T.Spoon, DBF
Darrin
Posted 2009-03-02 1:24 PM (#24739 - in reply to #24721)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ah my friend Blue must be headed EAST because for the first time in a couple of years we had snow last night on post and it snowed on and off all day, the surrounding areas had 4 inches of snow last night and we only had 2 on post.. Welcome back Blue, wish that I could buy you that beverage of choice but I won't be able to attend Ron's celebration of life due to being in school and I cannot get out of it.

Darrin
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-03-02 2:45 PM (#24743 - in reply to #24730)

COMSUBBBS

And here I thought you might have brought them to "appease" the old lady over here...
oh well!!!
steamboat
Posted 2009-03-02 2:45 PM (#24744 - in reply to #24737)
Master and Commander

Blue and Tim Spoon in San Francisco at the same time. Oh My God! Now that just ain't safe. Two of the worst rascles that ever ventured into the oceans depths. The Pamp will never be the same. It is my duty to inform you Blue that that TSpoon guy will fill your ear about the "days of yesteryear" on the old boats, and Tim, Blue will charm your wife right outta your hands. LOL Wish I could be there to keep Ya'll straight.
Steamboat sends
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-03-03 6:45 AM (#24751 - in reply to #24739)

Master and Commander

Darrin - 2009-03-03 3:24 AM

...Welcome back Blue, wish that I could buy you that beverage of choice but I won't be able to attend Ron's celebration of life due to being in school and I cannot get out of it.

Darrin

Yes that's a shame Darrin, but, I have no doubt there will be another time......"I'lll be baaaaack" - especially when there's an offer of a drink involved! lol

Blue *_*
subvetss
Posted 2009-03-03 8:20 AM (#24754 - in reply to #24721)
Senior Crew

Hey Blue! I'm going to be in Disney World in Florida next week. Wanna meet me there?
Joe'the'Most
TSpoon
Posted 2009-03-03 12:32 PM (#24757 - in reply to #24721)
Great Sage of the Sea

Blue, As Steamboat and I both sailed aboard the Balao on her last sojourn to Gitmo in 1963 I think we both have some yarns that would make a scullery maid blush. Perhaps said scullerymaid participated in some of the yarns.

And Steamboat you know Marvins brother went to the Catholic Seminary across the street from my high school on the post WWII GI Bill and is a priest in SF, that will be our first, second, and last stop on a day of wanton revilery. But as Kathy and my young bride will be with us perhaps we will skip the fun and attend a few museums.

There is the beer museum and the topless dancers 'show and review' daily over in Polk Gulch.

The mind wanders but the wife corrects all deviations.

T.Spoon, DBF
Darrin
Posted 2009-03-03 3:20 PM (#24759 - in reply to #24721)

Great Sage of the Sea

Maybe the next time right Blue?? am looking forwards to it shipmate
Corabelle
Posted 2009-03-03 4:34 PM (#24761 - in reply to #24744)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Now, Mr. Fulton -

I think youse boys are makin' stuff up about Blue. When he visited Elmer & me in Rapid City, he was a perfect gentleman!!

And, Blue...I know Slim isn't with us any more, but when you comin' back to the 'Outback?'

Cora
SOB490
Posted 2009-03-03 6:10 PM (#24764 - in reply to #24737)

Old Salt

>>>She did make a dependents cruise aboard the Ronquil in 1967 so understands us enough to not question that which seems strange.LOL

"UNDERSTANDS .... STRANGE???" What is there to understand -- after all, she married you, didn't she?

I'll be there by 0700 and have a key to the door and gate, so come in anytime - just call the watch office 775-1943 if you don't spot one of us face-down out on the pier somewhere!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-03-04 10:47 AM (#24785 - in reply to #24721)
Great Sage of the Sea

Actually SOB I dazzled her with West Pac trinkets, you know the $45 sets of Nortake Chine (service for 12), a set of shiny stainless flat ware, a string of Pearls from the vendor topside in that large exchange building, a set of crystal stem ware (which I broke most of by sitting on the box), a couple of genuine ruby and sapphire rings from Hong Kong, a couple of those Japanese dolls in a glass box, and one of those Japanese black lacquer jewelry boxes.

The Ronquil returned on 22 Feb, 1967 and we married on 4 March 1967.

That is 42 yers ago today.

Still have the Nortake, the jewlery box, the string of pearls, and the wife.

See you all on the 11th.

T.Spoon, DBF
Flapper
Posted 2009-03-04 5:13 PM (#24795 - in reply to #24785)

Master and Commander

TSpoon - 2009-03-04 11:47 AMActually SOB I dazzled her with West Pac trinkets, you know the $45 sets of Nortake Chine (service for 12), a set of shiny stainless flat ware, a string of Pearls from the vendor topside in that large exchange building, a set of crystal stem ware (which I broke most of by sitting on the box), a couple of genuine ruby and sapphire rings from Hong Kong, a couple of those Japanese dolls in a glass box, and one of those Japanese black lacquer jewelry boxes.The Ronquil returned on 22 Feb, 1967 and we married on 4 March 1967.That is 42 yers ago today.Still have the Nortake, the jewlery box, the string of pearls, and the wife.See you all on the 11th.T.Spoon, DBF

She (my ex) got the Noritake, the flatware, and the pearls; I got my clothes, and the oldest vehicle. LOL.
'Large exchange building'? The one outside the gate? Yokosuka? You must be talking about the Alliance Club. http://www.sproston.com/news.h1.gif
$10 (in MPC, of course) would get you ~3,600 yen and a sailor could get a pretty good liberty out of that: dinner at the Alliance, the 'special' at one of the local hotsi bath places, then get a heat on at the Starlight and/or the Whitehat clubs. But keep your eye on the clock - Cinderella liberty, you know! If you didn't make it back to the base before midnight, the gate guards would make life difficult, to say the least.
Them were the daze oops - days.
Ric
Posted 2009-03-04 5:26 PM (#24796 - in reply to #24795)

Plankowner

She (my ex) got the Noritake, the flatware, and the pearls; I got my clothes, and the oldest vehicle. LOL.
'Large exchange building'? The one outside the gate? Yokosuka? You must be talking about the Alliance Club. http://www.sproston.com/news.h1.gif
$10 (in MPC, of course) would get you ~3,600 yen and a sailor could get a pretty good liberty out of that: dinner at the Alliance, the 'special' at one of the local hotsi bath places, then get a heat on at the Starlight and/or the Whitehat clubs. But keep your eye on the clock - Cinderella liberty, you know! If you didn't make it back to the base before midnight, the gate guards would make life difficult, to say the least.
Them were the daze oops - days.

I remember that place. Had like 3 or 4 different clubs inside depending on what kind of music you liked. Had really great food. Ate there as long as my money held out.... Ahhh, ..the Starlight... Got drunk there until the money ran out.... finally fixed the money bit. Had a mess crank on board who was dink. He wanted pictures of Japan. He gave me money and his camera to record the country... :-) Sadly I the spent the money on booze and his camera ate his film.

Club Alliance had a liquor store. $1.25 bought a bottle of anything you wanted.

Flapper
Posted 2009-03-04 11:02 PM (#24799 - in reply to #24796)

Master and Commander

Ric - 2009-03-04 6:26 PM
http://www.sproston.com/news.h1.gif

Club Alliance had a liquor store. $1.25 bought a bottle of anything you wanted.

Ah yes! Cheap booze, cheap ciggie-butts, free coffee ... the Navy certainly started me down a path resembling a health-nut's nightmare. At least I've kicked the butts.
You'd take the bottle you bought and head for your boat's hangout, and hand the bottle over to the barkeep. S/he'd label it with your ID, and keep it back-bar for you until it was a dead soldier. All you did was pay for 'set-ups' (glass, bowl of ice, and your choice of mixer), and you 'poured your own' out of your private bottle. I was amazed when we stopped there 6 months later and my half-bottle was still there!
Oh yeah! The bowl of ice cubes came with chop sticks; picking up ice cubes and transferring them to my glass was how I acquired some deftness with those implements.
Look at the Alliance Club photo, and you'll see two small open windows just right of the tower ... those windows were in a head located above the 3rd floor. How do I know? A bunch of us were trapped in the Alliance Club when a massive protest demonstration was put one by people protesting a nuke boat that came in; it came down the boulevard that separated the A Club from the base main gate, so the SPs wouldn't let us attempt to make it back on base until the marchers were clear. I watched from one of those windows, looking down as tens of thousands angry chanting Nipponese, carrying torches and big indecipherable banners marched by.
I was impressed!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software