Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
Argentinian Navy Being Impounded?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2012-11-25 10:30 AM (#60444)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Argentinian Navy Being Impounded?

I often read an interesting military blog 'The Thin Pinstriped Line' written by well informed character called Humphrey. I don't always agree wth all his reports but this one on the sad status of the Argentinian Navy rings pretty true. I know the UK have their disagreements with Argentina over the Falkland Islands, but it gives me no pleasure to see what was once a rich nation with vast resources being brought to its knees by radical politics and the corruption of succesive unstable governments . Unlike a lot of similar blogs it does promote some sensible discussion on its threads and they too are worth reading. This article explains why their Naval vessels are in danger of being impounded by the increasing number of nations being owed money by Argentina.

http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-curious-case-of-frigates-and.html

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2012-11-25 1:34 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2012-11-25 11:58 AM (#60446 - in reply to #60444)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Argentinian Navy Being Impounded?

Interesting article..kind of gets you to thinking.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2012-11-25 2:49 PM (#60452 - in reply to #60444)
Master and Commander

Interesting and sad at the same time.

I remember learning about them in grade school.

They had cowboys and exported beef.

I think they defaulted on loans back in 1998; that might be why the creditors are playing hard ball.

They should go see the Chinese; they loan money to other countries.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2012-11-25 4:56 PM (#60453 - in reply to #60452)

Master and Commander

Does Argentina have any of our old Diesel boats?
Pedro
Posted 2012-11-25 7:41 PM (#60456 - in reply to #60453)

COMSUBBBS

Photobucket

John,

The Armada Republica Argentina (ARA) acquired many ex-American warships (including submarines) between the end of WWII and the 1970s until they sought submarine replacements in the 1980s.

The ARA Santa Fe was an Argentine Balao-class submarine which was lost during the Falklands War. Built during WWII, the submarine served in United States Navy as USS Catfish before being commissioned into the Argentine Navy in 1971. She served until 1982 when she was captured by the British at South Georgia after being seriously damaged and subsequently sank along a pier, with just her sail visible above the waterline. The submarine was raised, towed out of the bay and scuttled in deep waters in 1985.

Today they have three submarines, ARA San Juan, ARA Santa Cruz and ARA Salta all of which were German built, the first two in the mid 80’s (pictured above) and the latter boat in the mid 70s. ARA San Luis (sister ship to ARA Salta) was scrapped in 1991 after further refit was abandoned due to defence budget restrictions. See link below for interesting story of this boat which kept a lot of RN ships tied up hunting her, and the ridiculous reason behind her torpedo malfunctions during that conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_San_Luis

Pedro
Jim M.
Posted 2012-11-26 3:47 AM (#60457 - in reply to #60456)

Great Sage of the Sea

Pedro - 2012-11-25 7:41 PM

.....The ARA Santa Fe was an Argentine Balao-class submarine which was lost during the Falklands War. Built during WWII, the submarine served in United States Navy as USS Catfish before being commissioned into the Argentine Navy in 1971. She served until 1982 when she was captured by the British at South Georgia after being seriously damaged and subsequently sank along a pier, with just her sail visible above the waterline. The submarine was raised, towed out of the bay and scuttled in deep waters in 1985.......

Pedro

Pedro,

Hate to split hairs here.. but SANTA FE was moved from the whaling jetty in Grytviken in June of 1982 to a location off Hesteletten in the Moraine Fjord. Because she still had some munitions, cracked battery cells, and a few live Mk. 14 torpedoes, the British wanted her away from all the trans-shipping going on.

SANTA FE was moved again in 1983/84 - I'd have to check my notes - but as they were going to tow her out to sea, a storm came in and the tow ship - think it was RMAS GOOSANDER had to turn back into King Edward Cove.. where SANTA FE sank to the bottom.

Operation Okehampton was the salvage op in February 1985 undertaken by the British. They raised the wreck on 11 FEB 1985, beached her and made her ready to be towed out to deep water.

On 21 FEB 1985, SANTA FE was being towed to deep water when, about 12 miles out from the mouth of Cumberland Bay, she lurched to starboard and started taking on water. The tow line broke and she sank to a depth of about 1176 feet... and lies there today. (I have photos from her last dive...)

I've heard/read rumours of a diving expedition to the wreck.. but nothing much more than that.
Pedro
Posted 2012-11-26 1:21 PM (#60463 - in reply to #60444)

COMSUBBBS

Jim,

I stand corrected on her actual method of disposal. Why they bothered raising after the first sinking instead of just detonating her raises a thought or two. Would be happy to see those photos if you can get them on the BBS.

Cheers

Pedro
Jim M.
Posted 2012-11-26 1:54 PM (#60464 - in reply to #60463)

Great Sage of the Sea

Pedro - 2012-11-26 1:21 PM

Jim,

I stand corrected on her actual method of disposal. Why they bothered raising after the first sinking instead of just detonating her raises a thought or two. Would be happy to see those photos if you can get them on the BBS.

Cheers

Pedro

Pedro,

You've pretty much echoed what LT COL Guy Sheridan, RM OBE (Ret.) has felt since that time.. he couldn't understand why they just didn't deep six SANTA FE right there and then. I've talked with some others, via email, who all said that nobody really knew what the Argentinians were going to do..

The first photo shows SANTA FE being towed out on 21 FEB 1985 from King Edward Cove..

The second photo is possibly the last one taken.. SANTA FE's bow can be seen just to the left of the chap with the Commando sweater on.. the squiggly line in the water is the tow line, just after SANTA FE began her last dive. Both photos are from a series sent to me by John Rich, who was on the salvage op.

(JR007sm.jpg)

(JR008sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments JR007sm.jpg (55KB - 733 downloads)
Attachments JR008sm.jpg (53KB - 776 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2012-11-27 4:53 AM (#60466 - in reply to #60457)
Master and Commander

I question the statement about the "live Mk 14's". Why would the boat have "live" fish when in-port? Live means that the exploder is in place. Why would not the Brits not simply remove the exploder when they raised the boat? Torpex is relatively inert on its own, requiring a rather large exploder .
Perhaps I, too, am splitting hairs??

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2012-11-27 8:04 AM (#60467 - in reply to #60466)

Plankowner

I agree though I think what is meant, probably in the press (we know how badly they get stuff wrong), is that warheads were attached to the torpedoes. Many/most people don't know diddly about how a torpedo works.
Jim M.
Posted 2012-11-27 11:44 AM (#60475 - in reply to #60466)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2012-11-27 4:53 AM

I question the statement about the "live Mk 14's". Why would the boat have "live" fish when in-port? Live means that the exploder is in place. Why would not the Brits not simply remove the exploder when they raised the boat? Torpex is relatively inert on its own, requiring a rather large exploder .
Perhaps I, too, am splitting hairs??

Steamboat sends

Steamboat.. not splitting hairs.. but from what I've heard, the 14 fish were onboard SANTA FE (and came with the boat when she was turned over to Argentina in 1971) when she left Argentina at the outset of the invasion. She landed two beach recon teams of Buzos Tacticos (Tactical Navy) divers and was to go onto a war patrol right after. Additionally, conditions below deck on SANTA FE, after she was attacked on 25 April 1982 were not the greatest. Loose ordnance was rolling around the deck, a bunch of the battery cells in the after battery were cracked (a result, most likely of the depth charges dropped by the RN Wessex helicopter H for Humphrey on either side of the forward engine room). Generally speaking, neither the torpedoes nor the boat were well maintained...

On 26 April, after they shifted SANTA FE from the pier at King Edward Point to the whaling jetty across the cove in Grytviken, she took on water and bottomed out at the whaling jetty. LT COL Guy Sheridan, OBE RM (Ret) told me that water was pouring in as he and one other officer - Chris Nunn I think, but I'd have to check my notes - were removing CPO Felix Artuso's body..

In June 1982, they raised the sub and moved her to Moraine Fjord and beached her there. Some months later, as they were moving her again, SANTA FE and her tow ships had to head into King Edward Cove, where she sunk again .. and where she remained until the Feb. 1985 salvage operation.

Edited by Jim M. 2012-11-27 11:46 AM
Jim M.
Posted 2012-11-28 12:30 PM (#60500 - in reply to #60444)

Great Sage of the Sea

For Pedro et al, additional photos of SANTA FE during the 1985 salvage operation.

The first shows SANTA FE shortly after being raised from the bottom of King Edward Cove.

The second image shows the ship RFAS GOOSANDER beaching the sub, so that it could be prepared for towing to deep water.

The third image shows SANTA FE heeling over to starboard, beginning to take on water. This photo was taken shortly before the one I posted yesterday.

(scan0005sm.jpg)

(scan0014sm.jpg)

(JR010sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scan0005sm.jpg (59KB - 4183 downloads)
Attachments scan0014sm.jpg (31KB - 788 downloads)
Attachments JR010sm.jpg (51KB - 746 downloads)
Pedro
Posted 2012-11-28 7:05 PM (#60506 - in reply to #60444)

COMSUBBBS

Jim,

Thanks for all the pics - much appreciated. What a sad end for a good boat but at least it looks like nobody got killed or injured in her last adventures.

Pedro
steamboat
Posted 2012-11-29 5:48 AM (#60508 - in reply to #60500)
Master and Commander

FACINATING photos and research, Jim. Totally facinating. You do great work toward preserving our submarine (and Merchant Marine) history. You consistantly reveal facts that would be otherwise lost in time. For that I thank you!

Back to the original post in this thread.... I made UNITUS II cruise in 1961 aboard a destroyer. We operated with an Argintine Navy carrier (former US, I believe). Strange thing about it was that they did not have any planes aboard at that time. Word was that their Air Force had all the planes and the Navy and Air Force did not gee-haw! At least that was the scuttlebut in the lower ranks.

Steamboat sends
Jim M.
Posted 2012-11-29 11:00 AM (#60513 - in reply to #60506)

Great Sage of the Sea

Pedro - 2012-11-28 7:05 PM

Jim,

Thanks for all the pics - much appreciated. What a sad end for a good boat but at least it looks like nobody got killed or injured in her last adventures.

Pedro

Clyde Van Landingham, CATFISH's last CO (and REQUIN's last XO.. another REQUIN connection), told me in an email shortly before he died that CATFISH was worn out and he was told to turn her over as is/where is. When I had told him of my interests in her, he was surprised that CATFISH/SANTA FE lasted as long as she did.

Sadly, CPO Felix Artuso, ARA was killed on 26 (or 27 April) 1982 when SANTA FE was shifted to the whaling jetty in Grytviken from the pier at King Edward Point. His grave in Grytviken is tended with great care and reverance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software