Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Diving Officer, I believe we are airborne" OOD, looking out the periscope after a broach.
My Summer Reading List
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-06-09 9:09 PM (#4412)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: My Summer Reading List

The two on the right, I have already started reading...yes, both at the same time...but more interested at the moment in finishing
"The Bravest Man"...it's one hell of a book!

Patti

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2007-06-09 9:11 PM

(100_0740A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0740A.jpg (35KB - 1256 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2007-06-09 10:34 PM (#4414 - in reply to #4412)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: My Summer Reading List

What is The Bravest Man about? I see you have one of Captain Beach's books. Elmer told me that he decided to go into the submarine service when the Captain visited Radio School at the University of Chicago and gave a presentation. I have read three of Beach's books, also have the DVD of Run Silent, Run Deep. I guess that Captain Beach did not like the movie version of his book. That happens frequently with authors when studios buy all the rights to the story, and cut the author out of the final decision-making process; then change vital parts of the story to make it more celluloid-sellable.

Laura Bower Van Nuys, who wrote "The Family Band" was a personal & professional friend of mine. When Walt Disney bought the rights to her story and changed the title to "The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band," she was very disappointed with the final result. She lived well into her 90s, and wrote the book just a few years before her death. However, if Disney Studios ever act interested in anything I have written, I'm afraid $ signs might interfere with my judgement, too. (So far I haven't had that problem, darn it!)

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-06-09 11:48 PM (#4417 - in reply to #4414)

COMSUBBBS

Hi Cora,

"The Bravest Man" is a combination story...but it is primarily about Dick O'Kane and the Tang. It's a great book...starts out with Mush Morton and Dick O'Kane's days on the Wahoo. I am only into a few chapters of it, read it before...but did not quite comprehend it all...but after going to last BESS graduation and "looking" at photos on the wall...and seeing O'Kane's there, decided I would pick it up again. Reason for "not comprehending" first time around...the book would "mysteriously" disappear...and
the place I had saved would be moved...so this time around...I have stashed it...but if "anyone" should find it...there is a very nice note in my place to "PLEASE LEAVE THE
BOOKMARK WHERE IT IS"...

The complete explanation of each compartment is wonderful...and although I have only been on one diesel...the Clamagore...I can picture each space...if that's possible.
Mr. Touhey has taken each man's thoughts and words and related them to the reader in such vivid descriptive...especially when the men are going to battle stations.

If you can get a hold of a copy, please read it.

I was privileged to meet Capt. Beach in Groton the year before his passing. He was a truly wonderful man and a great writer...and yes, he was not happy with the movie. Hollywood just loves to take "poetic license" with their version of the story. This to me is a sin...that is why I "think" the Navy didn't want to have anything to do the production of "Crimson Tide"...but I could be mistaken.

My aunt worked as a housekeeper for the Von Trapps when they lived in Vermont. She said they were a nice family, but were nothing like the characters portrayed in the movie. But by the time, they had settled here, they were all grown.

This is where a good lawyer comes in...especially an entertainment type...they can "lead" you in the right direction...and some of them will actually do right by you.

I have become such a hound for anything to do with the WWII and before WWII boats. With only recently finding out about my own family history in the Submarine Service, I want to get my hands on anything and everything and just absorb it all. I wish my granduncle had talked more about his time on the boats. I'm in the process of trying to find a link between him and Swede Momsen...I think they went to Sub School together back in the 1920's...and want to find out if they served together...I copied some notes from Library at Sub Force Museum in Groton back in May...but didn't have enough time to really sit down and read everything. The
Library is such a great place...could get lost in their for hours, if they would let me.

Here is a picture of my granduncle...Vincent J. Moore.

P.S. If you will notice also in that stack is a book called "Rising Tide"...it is about the Cold War Russian Boats...would like to read about "their" take on how we fared as their adversary.
And the last one "Submarine Stories" is compilation of many stories about diesel boats and their crews...pre-WWII and WWII...I grabbed that one, as it was the last one on the shelf. I have to take a picture of the book jacket. It's a great cover...two L boats that were tied up in Queenstown, Ireland during the War.

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2007-06-10 12:00 AM

(moore3.GIF)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments moore3.GIF (40KB - 1266 downloads)
nancy
Posted 2007-06-24 12:25 AM (#4766 - in reply to #4412)

Old Salt

Just ordered former submariner Dan Meadows' book, OF ICE AND STEEL. Also, the first in a new Sam Harper detective series, Silenced Cry by Marta Stephens. Must discipline myself as I'm rather a reading "aholic." Must keep main focus on cookbook writing.
Ron Wert
Posted 2007-06-24 3:49 PM (#4773 - in reply to #4412)
Crew

Nancy, maybe I missed something, but tell me more about your writing cookbooks. I don't so much collect them as accumulate them if they look really interesting.

Ron
nancy
Posted 2007-06-27 11:35 AM (#4828 - in reply to #4773)

Old Salt

Writing one --- and learning how time consuming this is so won't be writing another.

This is the first-ever sub cookbook for general public and am doing it with assist from Sub Force, Norfolk. Portion of proceeds to go to Sub Vets Scholarship Fund. Book is dedicated to past (including 4,020-plus on eternal patrol), present, future submariners and families.

About 50% of cookbook buyers are collectors who don't necessarily cook. While book is truly a first for home cooks, trick is to find an agent who'll, in turn, find a publisher. I prefer to NOT go self-publishing route. Suspect book won't be published until late 2008, early 2009.

Hope this info helps. (Keep this info within sub forums, please)

Nancy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software