Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
Obituary TM2(SS) Robert Polk USS STERLET 392 62-64
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Skii
Posted 2007-06-17 1:33 PM (#4612)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Obituary TM2(SS) Robert Polk USS STERLET 392 62-64

It is with sadness I report the death of our shipmate Torpdoman Second Class Robert Polk on June 14, 2007 of congestive heart failure at his home in Hillsboro, Orego.

He served aboard the USS STERLET SS392 from 1962-64 as written by him in his blog STERLET SS392
UNDERSEA WARRIOR you can google it to read his thoughts on his submarine and personal life.

He is survived by his wife Susann (whom he married in 1966 Susann Keenon), daughter Patty Smith,
sons John, William, and James; mother June, and four grandchildren. A graveside service will be held at l:00PM Wednesday, June 20, 2007, in Helvetia Cemetery, Hillsobor, OR.

"Sailor Rest Your Oar" "Attention on Deck TM2(SS) Robert Polk has departed in his "Eternal Patrol"

To his family "May Your Friends Be Your Comfort and Strength"

Dick Jarenski YN1(SS)
Sterlet Association Secretary
Corabelle
Posted 2007-06-17 2:04 PM (#4616 - in reply to #4612)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Hi Ski -

How was China? I've been waiting for you to get back. I've had no luck in contacting any of Bill Williams' family. Do you know what his wife's name was (last wife, if he had more than one)?

I have called many Williams in the California town where he died (I can't say the name of it, but have access to it), and no one claims relationship.

I want a picture of him in his dress uniform - blues, if possible.

Welcome home, my friend.

Cora
Skii
Posted 2007-06-18 1:07 PM (#4661 - in reply to #4612)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Obituary TM2(SS) Robert Polk USS STERLET 392 62-64

Glad to be back Cora -- Chinese know how to live - very impressed by what they have accomplished in last 15 years -- marvelous approach to life (even though extremely crowded with so many people)

Best I can find for now is his widow is Ruth Vanleuvan 4827 W L10 Ave
Lancaster, Ca. 93536 -- age wouldbe about 87 and not sure if she is still
with us.. No phone available

xxx

Ski
Tom Curtis
Posted 2007-06-18 1:41 PM (#4662 - in reply to #4616)

Crew

Subject: RE: Willard Williams

Cora ---

Found this old obituary by doing a Google search on Ruth Van Leuvan. It has a lot more names that might help you in your quest.

Willard W. ``Will'' Williams

"Memorial services for Willard W. "Will'' Williams of Rosamond
will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at American Legion Post 771 in Palmdale.

Williams died June 22 in Lancaster at age 74.

Survivors include his companion, Ruth Van Leuvan; children, Patricia Sibona, Richard D. and Paul D. Williams, Joyce Cuillerier, Gaylord Gast and Billy McElhaney; and six grandchildren. "

Also, a Zaba search for Ruth shows that at one time or another, she and Willard lived in Palmdale, Reno, and Rosamond.
Skii
Posted 2007-06-18 1:57 PM (#4663 - in reply to #4612)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks to Tom's research I now have a number for one of Willard's children (Joyce Cuillerier) and same address as Ruth Van Leuvan -- 510 786 3859 called but they have no answer machine, but at least we now have found where his widow and one child live -- maybe this will get you there -- thanks Tom for the obit

Ski
Sterlet Assn Secy
Corabelle
Posted 2007-06-18 11:42 PM (#4676 - in reply to #4663)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks, guys -

I did try to call the number, but there was no answer. I'll try again, and if I'm not successful, I'll write.

Much going on. Company tomorrow, then the SAILOR is going to visit for a few days. Hope we get lots of work done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software