Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: “What wordy praise can one give such men as these; men who … follow unhesitatingly when in the vicinity of minefields so long as there is the possibility of targets … Men who flinch not with the fathometer ticking off two fathoms beneath the keel … Men who will fight to the last bullet and then start throwing the empty shell cases. These are submariners.” - Eugene Fluckey in his final war patrol report aboard USS Barb
Craven slams new Scorpion book by Offley
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-06-18 8:45 AM (#4653)

Admin

Subject: Craven slams new Scorpion book by Offley

Have a look
crystal
Posted 2007-06-18 10:31 AM (#4655 - in reply to #4653)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Craven slams new Scorpion book by Offley

A very well written article in which I totally agree with Dr. Craven.  Offley is a sensationalist who wrote a story about which he knows "nada".  Unfortunately like so many others there were no detractors among the crowd at the NUM on Saturday when he gave his speech and signed books.  I would have loved to be the "thorn in his side" but we were still down in Portland...

Flapper
Posted 2007-06-18 6:21 PM (#4669 - in reply to #4653)

Master and Commander

In the Star-Bull article Don linked was the following:
As for the sinking of the Russian submarine K-129, Offley said the Soviet submarine was on patrol in an area 750 miles northwest of Oahu, its arsenal of nuclear ballistic missiles targeted on Pearl Harbor and other island military bases, when it went missing. In the 2005 book "Red Star Rogue: The Untold Story of a Soviet Submarine Nuclear Strike Attempt on the U.S." the authors maintain the Scorpion was sunk in retaliation for the sinking of K-129. The authors believe that Soviet sub sunk after colliding with the U.S. sub USS Swordfish. [My emphasis]
I haven't read Offley's screed (and probably won't) but I have read Red Star Rogue. As I remember it that book's author speculated K-129 was sunk when an attempt to launch a missile went awry. I don't remember any speculation on it's sinking being due to a collision.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-06-19 1:03 AM (#4680 - in reply to #4653)

Great Sage of the Sea

Stephen Johnson's recent book, "Silent Steel" reports that both initial surveilance and later photos of the Scorpion's wreckage show no damage that would be consistent with a torpedo impact or external detonation.

No, I ain't buyin' that load of crap, or his book.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software