Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first submarine which actually sank another enemy vessel under combat conditions was the CSS HUNLEY built during the Civil War. The Union frigate HOUSATONIC on blockade station off Charleston, S. C. was the victim. The incident occurred on February 17, 1864.
QM-DB secret weapon
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2007-06-28 12:46 PM (#4864)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: QM-DB secret weapon

Hidden behind the conning tower ladder, covered in plastic... she lurked. Not many aboard knew she was even there... waiting. I knew, my fellow quartermasters knew, she watched...sharp and silent. Everyone who manned the helm was just a few feet from her, everyone who climbed the ladder came very, very close to...her. She was, of course, the " Ships Sewing Machine" after over thirty years, our "secret" can be revealed. DBF
John J. Patterson
Posted 2007-06-28 2:16 PM (#4868 - in reply to #4864)

Crew

Subject: RE: QM-DB secret weapon

On the Boats I was on 636,726, The QMs also had custody of the sewing machine. Must be some obsccure Naval Regulation. I'm sure that someone will be able to cite chapter and verse.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2007-06-28 2:49 PM (#4869 - in reply to #4864)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: QM-DB secret weapon

I'm pretty sure we didn't have one on the 600. We made a visit to the Caribbean and were told there's no uniforms to be worn on the beach. So the budding entrepreneurs back aft thought up a scheme to manufacture clothes out of the terry cloth we used in crew's mess. The patterns were cut from skivvies and T shirts. They were sewn together with orange shot line. Quite fashionable if I might say. However, the project got nixed when the cook complained to the skipper abotu the run on terry cloth. The skipper in turn called somebody important and we hit the beach in dress whites. In those days FBM skippers had some serious clout.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software