Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS GEORGE WASHINGTON, the world's first ballistic missile nuclear powered submarine, constructed in record time, set a record of its own by remaining submerged 67 days on its initial Polaris missile deterrent patrol in the Atlantic.
Adm Fluckey - On Eternal Patrol
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

PaulR
Posted 2007-06-29 12:09 PM (#4897)

Master and Commander

Subject: Adm Fluckey - On Eternal Patrol

The Admiral died at 2345 June 28, 2007.

Sailor, Rest Your Oar.
RCK
Posted 2007-06-29 12:12 PM (#4898 - in reply to #4897)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Adm Fluckey - On Eternal Patrol

Hand Salute
Skii
Posted 2007-06-29 2:51 PM (#4903 - in reply to #4897)

Great Sage of the Sea

"Sailor Rest Your Oars" - Hand Salute - another member of our cherished history is now on Eternal Patrol.

Dick Jarenski
USS STERLET (SS392) ASSN
VICE CDR WHITE MTN BASE
Ric
Posted 2007-06-29 3:48 PM (#4904 - in reply to #4897)

Plankowner

Go with God Admiral.
It was a pleasure to have met you.

Hand Salute. Two!

Ric Hedman
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-06-29 4:44 PM (#4905 - in reply to #4897)

COMSUBBBS

One of the terrible things about growing old is the list of people you admired and were motivated by gets shorter and shorter....Your heroes keep turning in their earthly issue and getting orders for their eternal assignments. Admiral "Lucky" Fluckey was such a man. No lad got issued a more worthy hero or found a finer man to attempt to emulate. I wonder if young lads of today find that level of leadership and courage in their heroes. I certainly hope so. Living in Washington, I had the honor of knowing him and being able to introduce him to my bride. He was the kind of hero who was humble and discounted the worthiness of being considered a hero. My bride...my little Norwegian blue-eyed blonde sweetheart, recognized the Medal of Honor suspended from the light blue ribbon around his neck and walked up to him and said,"Sir, I know what that medal means...Could I have the honor of shaking your hand?", "My dear, This is not my Medal...It belongs to my gallant crew, they earned it...They just let me wear it...The only thing I ever won on my own was a freckle contest at Woodward and Lothrop as a kid." and he gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. (Woodward and Lothrop was a large department store in Washington...affectionately known as Woodies. It no longer exists...sadly.). That statement was characteristic of the gentleman. Admiral Fluckey now passes into the pages of our submarine history. He was the last living submarine Medal holder. He has joined the other three Medal holders who survived the war and the three who didn't. Wherever he is tonight, he is surrounded by the gallant men who were my insperation to select the Submarine Service as my branch of service. I will attend his services in Annapolis with Chief Stone and Art Smith....there is no greater honor than attending the send off celebration of a man's life who served this nation and gave her what this fine naval officer did. DEX
nancy
Posted 2007-06-29 6:07 PM (#4907 - in reply to #4897)

Old Salt

Through the sub forums last year, I got my hands on books about The ADMIRAL. If protocol allows, hope flags are flying at half-staff or mast at sub bases, on the boats, at the Navy Department, etc.

Admiral Fluckey is being greeted by other submariners who are resting under the sunny yardarm of God's boat.

Edited by nancy 2007-06-29 6:08 PM
Curt
Posted 2007-06-30 6:34 AM (#4916 - in reply to #4897)

Old Salt

The torch is passed. God Speed.

http://www.navytimes.com/xml/news/2007/06/navy_fluckey_obit_070629w/navy_fluckey062907_500.JPG

Flapper
Posted 2007-06-30 7:31 PM (#4934 - in reply to #4905)

Master and Commander

Subject: Two telling pictures ...

Sometimes a picture (or two) really is worth a thousand words.
Bear
Posted 2007-07-02 2:04 AM (#4957 - in reply to #4897)

Great Sage of the Sea

I rarely mention this, but, I had the privilege of having him and his bride ride shotgun on my bus for a three hour ride out of Canada to Seattle as he was returning from a cruise.Just like all the stories he was more concerned with what I had done and what the more modern Navy was like from a Rag Hat’s point of view. And we told a few sea stories unfortunately not of the war but the more human aspects of submarine life. It was truely an honor to have known him.

He is in the same category as Capt Ross a MOH winner from here in Kitsap Co (USS Nevada Dec 7). that also past on quite awhile ago, who I had the privilege of having him present to me a Navy League Senior SOY award.

Having meet the two of them, they were truely cut from the same cloth and I know how truly gracious and heroic people can be.

Bear

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software