Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first periscope used by the United States Navy was not built for a submarine. The ironclad monitor OSAGE utilized a periscope to discover a Confederate cavalry unit taking cover behind the high banks of the Red River in Arkansas.
Holiday With Heros
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Smiley
Posted 2007-07-05 4:49 PM (#5071)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Holiday With Heros

After reading some of the recent posts here I thought I too would share my 4th of July experience with my shipmates and the lovely "Ladys" who bless this forum with their postings and knowledge etc..
Actually it was a party held on the 1st of July due to the deployment schedule of a few of the parties attendees.
My Better half and I were down to Virginia Beach this past week to spend some time with our newly frocked Senior Chief before he deploys again for the land of missing WMDs and murdering lunitics. Or the land of snow capped mountains and poppys.. I know not which one.
Anyway our beautiful Daughter in Law and a few of her fellow "Lady Frogs" put together a "4th" party at her lovely new home. The weather was beautiful and so were all the trimmings.
This was the first chance I have had to have the honor to meet some of my Son's Newer team mates and several who I haven't seen in a few years. My Son is a Member of DEVGru SEAL (The old Team 6 of Marchinko's era)..
Among these honored fellows were a Navy Cross awardee, 5 Silver Star Awardees, and several Bronze Star w/V awardees..and enough purple hearts to dye the pool water purple.and a retired SEAL MOH awardee..( Vietnam) as well as a few other s who "dropped in".
We drank single malts and Millers and Bud Lites and smoked illegal "Cubans" that someone brought a case of to the party.of course I was in another world.. I was asked by one of the more senior members " sir.. Jason informed us you are old Navy..
I was embarrased a little.. I responded yes I am. but.. I was a Submariner.. They all raised their beverages in a toast to Submariners everywhere.. No jokes .. serious as a preacher they were about their toast. One of them said.. Sir you gotta have balls to spend a few months locked away in one of those for sure.. I laughed till my sides hurt..

I guess the point of my post is this. You would think that with all this warrior class, tip of the spear sailors sitting and putting down good food and drink that one of them would start with the War stories I was hoping to hear.. Nope.... Not a one.. They all talked about home family and lost shipmates ( they have lost several shipmates in this War). They talked sports and love stories and fast cars and motorcycles...
They all volunteered for their service.. Not a single complaint about deployments, pay, or politics...Just good old American 4th of July good will. I began to feel very safe and very proud of our Country.. A Country that still produces people like these Gentlemen.. I wish you all were there, many of you would feel different about some things for sure.
I am very proud of my Son.. I am also proud of all these Son's ( and Daughters) that go into the night to keep the boogie man away from our bed rooms.
As he leaves for another deployment this week I have been reassured that he leaves with the one of the best groups of young people I have ever had the honor to know.
The nights will be long and my better half will go into that "zone" again but I will know he is with the best...
Bill Linne
Posted 2007-07-05 6:33 PM (#5076 - in reply to #5071)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Holiday With Heros

Great post, Walt!  Thanks for sharing.

If my memory serves, Seal Team Six is Presidential Support, is it not?

Bill

Stoops
Posted 2007-07-05 7:13 PM (#5079 - in reply to #5071)
Master and Commander

Smiley...thanks for posting...you (and us) are truly blessed by heroes like your son and his friends...Wish I could have been there to tell them how much we appreciate what they do for us.
I will keep them all in my prayers. May the Lord watch over them as they put themselves in harm's way to gain freedom for the oppressed and keep the vile enemies away from our shores!

You should be rightly proud!

Smiley
Posted 2007-07-05 7:17 PM (#5080 - in reply to #5076)
Great Sage of the Sea

Bill Linne - 2007-07-05 7:33 PM

Great post, Walt!  Thanks for sharing.

If my memory serves, Seal Team Six is Presidential Support, is it not?

Bill

Team 6 was "officially disbanded" thanks in large part to Marchinko's Books... But Many in Devgru still refer to it as Team 6. Their mission is really complex and still mostly classified. Jason never talks much about it and being an old Nuke Sailor I know better to pry and I don't. . I know when about he is leaving and returning and sometimes where he went.. On those few occaisions I have seen him in full uniform his ribbon rack tells his travels all too well. I do know they do many things from weapons, equipment and tactical development to counter terrorist ops.Much of their operations are combined force ( Army/Navy/CIA Spec ops as well as allied special ops outfits). getting into Devgru is a career dream for many SEAL operators. I know it was for Jason.
I believe if some of these fellows would or maybe more importantly could write a book it would make many of Marchinkos books read like a fairy tail ( some are LOL).. Especially since 9/11. When I asked some if they would write a book, to a man they all said no way..
As for Presidential Support I don't know, but Jason was in Afganistan a week after 9/11 ?
I always thought the Marines were at the call of the POTUS.
Buff
Posted 2007-07-05 8:24 PM (#5082 - in reply to #5080)
Crew

Sir,
I know you are rightly proud of your son and his shipmates/team. And so are we. We are so very fortunate to have those warriors continue to keep us safe. May God guide and protect them all!!

Respectfully,

Buff
whalen
Posted 2007-07-05 9:40 PM (#5085 - in reply to #5071)

Great Sage of the Sea

bz
Corabelle
Posted 2007-07-05 11:56 PM (#5089 - in reply to #5071)

COMSUBBBS

Truely a "Fourth" to remember, Smiley. You are justifiably proud. I know the "zone" where your wife goes. Our family was there for about 4 1/2 years during WWII. It's a "protective, you can't get to me" wall that our mind constructs to protect us and our service men from harm.

May God watch over your son and his crew until they return again. I don't really understand the "no way" about writing a book, though. After some time they may reconsider. I think all of our personal and national histories that can be recorded in first person are valuable for our families and our country. Gotta think that way, for obvious reasons.

Who is Marchinko? I get the feeling that he is a writer, and one that you don't particularly admire. Doesn't he really have the first-person experience to write what he writes?

You mentioned motorcycles. Will it be this year - or - next year when we meet here in the Black Hills?

Thank you again for sharing your holiday with us.

Cora
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-07-06 12:32 AM (#5092 - in reply to #5089)

Master and Commander

CAPT Dick Marchinko, USN Ret'd, was the commanding officer of Seal Team Six. He wrote a book, Rogue Warrior, about his experiences while on training assignments here in the U.S. He revealed no secrets, but did reveal some holes in security at various U.S. bases.

His book rubbed a lot of people wrong, but he was proved right about a lot of things.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-07-06 10:12 AM (#5104 - in reply to #5071)
COMSUBBBS

Well,Smiley, it looks like once again Stoops has stolen my thunder. What he said is right on the money. Tell Jason that are bestwishes, hopes and prayers are there for him, his buddies, and his family. God speed and following seas!!!!!!!!!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-07-07 8:52 PM (#5147 - in reply to #5071)

COMSUBBBS

Walt,

Your post is truly wonderful. It reminds me how special this day really is...and how I do miss the way "we" should celebrate it...REMEMBERING...and
giving thanks that we have so many "special" people doing exactly what our Forefathers did to give us the freedoms we do enjoy.

Bless you...and God Bless "all" who give of themselves to preserve that which we hold so dear...

Patti
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software