Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can't say anything bad about Doc Barboza; he cut my hair before I went ashore... and he cured my 'cold' when I came back." -- David Stevens, MM2(SS), USS Archerfish AGSS-311)
NavSea Antenna Rep (This is A L-o-o-o-o-n-g Shot!)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Bill Linne
Posted 2007-07-08 8:01 PM (#5179)

Senior Crew

Subject: NavSea Antenna Rep (This is A L-o-o-o-o-n-g Shot!)

In Charleston in the seventies there lived (and this really is no sh*t) a NavSea Antenna Shop guy by the name of Tommy something.  It is the "something" I'm trying to remember.  This guy probably forgot more about submarine antennas than most other subject matter experts ever knew!  He was phenomininal.  One of the few tech guys I ever met that I trusted totally.  If Tommy said "this" or "that" was the problem, you were wasting time if you weren't requisitioning a new "this" or "that".

Tommy actually took pride in being called "Sand Crab".  When he retired, Don Adams was the Squadron Comms Chief at CSS-4.  Don made a shadow box for Tommy with a brass crab in it.  The crab was totally surrounded by sand.  The inscription was " 'Nuff Said".

Damn, I wish I could remember Tommy's last name.  Been bugging me for two weeks.  And no, Don does not remember, either.  Any help?

Bill
Stoops
Posted 2007-07-08 8:09 PM (#5180 - in reply to #5179)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: NavSea Antenna Rep (This is A L-o-o-o-o-n-g Shot!)

Isn't it amazing how some people really affect our lives and yet later on, we realize how much they gave us and how little we remember of them, save their advice, intellect, humor, etc......

Wish I had a dime for all the folks that set an example for me that I have lost contact with!!

Hope you find him, Bill....I'm still looking for a lot of folks!

Dave
Bill Linne
Posted 2007-07-08 9:45 PM (#5182 - in reply to #5180)

Senior Crew

Thanks, Dave.  It'll come to me one way or another.

You make a good point.  I've often thought how short-sighted I was for not keeping a list of significant people and events.  If I had George Gambels memory, I wouldn't need paper or pencil; but I don't!

Damned hindsight.  Always 20-20!

Bill
cobber
Posted 2007-07-09 10:20 AM (#5206 - in reply to #5179)

Mess cooking

Bill...

I believe it was Tommy Baker

John...
Bill Linne
Posted 2007-07-09 11:24 AM (#5208 - in reply to #5206)

Senior Crew

cobber - 2007-07-09 8:20 AMBill...I believe it was Tommy BakerJohn...

That's it.  You da MAN, John!  Thank you very much!

Another thought about Tommy came to me over the weekend.  I'd notseen him in a couple years (while I was on shore duty in DC 75-77) andthen I went to the 637 in Charleston.  I'd been aboard a fewmonths, and coming out of the yards we were having an antenna problem(the details of which escape me now) but while I was off the boatmaking a CMS pickup, Tommy visited the boat.  When I returned, theOps Boss says "some guy named Tommy Baker was here to look at xxxx, andhe said we need a new yyyy".  "So you ordered one, right?" saysI.  "Well, no" he says.  I exclaimed "Tommy Baker told you weneed an yyyy, and you've not yet done it?"  He looked verysurprised, then figured out I knew Tommy, smiled, and said "okay, I'llleave the details to you".

Now to see if I can find ol' Tommy.

Thanks again,

Bill

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software