Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
Never Understood
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-07-09 4:34 PM (#5226)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Never Understood

(A) Gold is far more valuable than silver, but an Ensign and Second Lt. with gold insignia are below First Lt.s and Captains and JG's and Lts. (Navy) who wear silver insignia...same with Lt. Cols who wear silver leaves and rank Majors who wear gold (i.e. see LCRD's. and CDR's) (B) A Major ranks a Lt....yet a Major General (two stars) is ranked by a Lt. General (three stars) (C) Non-Coms are given warrants confirming their ranks and positions...Officers are given commissions after being confirmed by Congress...So what in the hell is a commissioned warrant officer? Is it something like a zebra duck? Never made sense.....I'm sure their's some kind of perfectly understandable explanation....What's a Sgt. Major? Is he half Sgt. and half Major? Ah. the ignorance of a Leading Seaman...and Two-Way Trash Dumper. DEX
Ed668
Posted 2007-07-10 10:06 AM (#5271 - in reply to #5226)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Never Understood

I have wonder the same thing about the gold and silver bars and oak leaves. That must go back to a long time ago.

Also, I have never understood the Lt. General and Major General ranks. It always seemed backwards to me.

Shouldn't a Commodore (one star) be called Rear Admiral (most lowest)?
RCK
Posted 2007-07-10 11:20 AM (#5274 - in reply to #5226)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Never Understood

Gold is worth more than silver, but silver outranks gold. This is because the Army decreed in 1832 that infantry colonels would wear gold eagles on an epaulette of silver and all other colonels would wear silver eagles on gold. When majors and lieutenant colonels received the leaves, this tradition could not continue. So silver leaves represented lieutenant colonels and gold, majors. The case of lieutenants is different: First lieutenants had been wearing silver bars for 80 years before second lieutenants had any bars at all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software