Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
Settle this Sub Food Supply Question, Please
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

nancy
Posted 2007-07-12 12:51 PM (#5366)

Old Salt

Subject: Settle this Sub Food Supply Question, Please

Do or do not FAs and boomers get food drops or restock in foreign ports? Have heard both yes and no. Thanks
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-07-12 1:47 PM (#5368 - in reply to #5366)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Settle this Sub Food Supply Question, Please

The 2 FBMs that I was on in the '60's did not make stops along the way for anything. We left port when the water got deep enough we submerged. We did our patrols and when we got back to where the water wasn't deep enough, we surfaced and went to the pier. Real exciting! We made do with what we left with except for O2 and water. Those we made.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2007-07-12 1:49 PM
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2007-07-12 7:56 PM (#5382 - in reply to #5366)
Master and Commander

Bags of onions and potatoes hanging in the lower level missile compartment.

Cartons of eggs in the torpedo room bilge (while they lasted).

Going into Holy Loch, the pilot boat brought fresh milk out so we could have it before hitting port.

Full scale seafood buffet on Friday night; lobster, shrimp, scallops, etc.

These are some of the things I remember about food while on patrol.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-07-13 12:22 AM (#5386 - in reply to #5366)

Great Sage of the Sea

It depended on the port.

When I rode the 622Blue, we made one patrol where we returned to Charleston, swapped out torpedos and 1 missile for exercise weapons, and went to the Bahamas for weapons certification. Made a port call at Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale (the weekend AFTER Spring Break) to reload weapons & pick up the Goldies' weaponeers. Went back to shoot their fish, then returned to Charleston to reload warshots. On the way back to Scotland we stopped off in Halifax for a long weekend. Got fresh milk & produce at every stop.

All my Fast Attack boats were PacFleet - 584 & 715 out of Pearl, 595's last Westpac & Spec-op out of San Diego.

Most ports we hit were USN facilities - Guam, Subic Bay, Okinawa, Yokosuka, Adak. In Hong Kong we got fresh produce through the British Royal Navy Base, in Chin Hae, Korea, we got a similar deal from the US Army detachment there.

Only place I don't remember getting fresh veggies was Pattaya, Thailand, because we had to anchor out and steam, instead of mooring at the pier at the Royal Thai base at Sattahip. (The boat that visited ahead of us, USS San Francisco, made a hard landing and broke the pier.) We probably would have gotten fresh food from them otherwise.

So, yes, mostly we did get fresh produce in foreign ports.

Bear
Posted 2007-07-13 3:40 PM (#5423 - in reply to #5366)

Great Sage of the Sea

In 70's and 80's for the Nucs as already said yah ate what yah brung for the patrol, and the radio room was your contact to the world 50 (70's) to 150 character (mid 80's) familygrams. And Kids think text messaging and textspeak was thier invention, bet yah some of boat sailor told them how to do it, IMHO. That is if it was an FBMer or Home Port to Home Port Fast Boat ("Training Deployment" patrol. Only one exception out of 9 of those type patrols I did was one in which we Medevaced out of Adak, instead of helo, they sent us out as best as 36 year old memory can bring up, eggs milk and a couple case of fruit and veggies, "The Gifts from the Snowy Fog Gods, in trade for our very sick Steward". (Even though the Quack wanted his shot at an underway Appendectomy).  Other than that if you were more than 15 days out and saw something fresh and green it was growing on the cheese or meat in the ready reefer, all eggs were scrambled (if they were runny it was because of to much water in the mix), and anything white and liquid was not made by a cow (at least any time in the last decade).

The discussion of liberty ports at least for Nucs were part of what were then Mid Deployment breaks in our Western Pacific Extended Deployments for Training. Which lasted from @ 7months to 11 months. In which you trained 2 months, (rested repaired and replenished in Japan, Subic, or Guam, with an occasional crew "Ambassador Apprenticeship Training, in Hong Kong early on, then Sasebo, Korea, Tawain and then once in each Boats life time the Magical trip to Oz which is only a mythical place to me) then we "Trained" (can you say read Blind man's Bluff) for 2 to 3 months then your did 3R again, then one last Training Period (normally, but some times one more full or partial cycle because some one broke or some other country had some interesting training for US) and then home.

The advent of Mid Patrol breaks did not really start to occur until early to mid 90's (although there were rare trips to a port Normally Guam or West Coast in the middle of a Pearl to Pearl before then). Out of a total of 16 patrols (anything greater than 30 days), I had 2 FBM with no stops (Guam to Guam and Bangor to Bangor) and 14 Fast Attack Training Sessions, we only ever came off station twice, and went any where, The Land of the Snowy Fog, and a top off stop in Guam to resupply because one of our sisters mapped a Sea Mountain with her part of her dome and then the rudder, and we were just finishing our trainning so the resupplied us and sent us to finish her Training and Mapping mission in the South China Seas.

So even though we had all the Water Power and AC we wanted and could carry twice the supplies (as well as Fire power) we did not make twice the stops for liberty and green food and white milk and over easy eggs. We did eat well though only due to the ability and imagination of the cooks, baker and mess cooks. And I would gladly sail again for another 60 days without stopping, although I understand for a lot of reasons almost no boat is at sea that long any more with 30 to 45 being the norm then a port stop then finish the patrol, with the exception of some of the Fast Boats are still doing 45 to 60 for their training seesions when they are on one of those Extended Training Deployments.

Bear
Posted 2007-07-13 3:46 PM (#5425 - in reply to #5366)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sorry to have such a long post in the previous but something was bugging me and that let me vent a bit even if it didn't sound that way and was not what I was venting on.

And on the list of places, to stash stuff can goods forming a false deck in AMR2UL and in the Main Engine and SSTG box girders.  

So back on the subject of supplies I have caps to ship to Rotten Groton for the A fish, and Podunk (just kidding) Tenn. for the Haddo and I needs to go to Costco for fixins for Bourbon BBQ Little Smokies Have A Great Afternoon.

Edited by Bear 2007-07-13 3:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software