Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Visited Arlington National Cemetery today.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-07-15 10:10 PM (#5521)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Visited Arlington National Cemetery today.....

Arlington is a beautiful place in any season...but, especially so in Spring and Summer...They keep the grounds manicured like the Masters course in Augusta. No place else on earth is the grass any greener and the contrast with white marble any starker. It is a place of peace that a nation has dedicated to her warriors. I visit my little Norwegian there and those little visits have come to mean a lot and provide a degree of continuity and comfort. You can't help noticing others on the same mission. Today, three old aged gentlemen arrived in a taxi. They told the driver to wait and they walked directly to a headstone they had obviously been to before, because they weren't consulting one of those grave site locator cards, they give folks to locate the resting places of friends and loved ones. Two guys were assisted by canes... the other fellow may have been slowed by advancing years, but had a glint in his eye. They ambled up the hill and formed a ragged line and gave a hand salute...held it for about 30 seconds, then patted the headstone in turn and returned to their waiting cab and left. I walked up to the headstone after they had gone and found that the object of their respect was a Second Class Gunner's Mate....I would have given anything to have heard the reason for the deep respect those old "been around the block" rascals obviously had for the gentleman whose remains rest below that sunbleached marble marker. True immortality...the only meaningful immortality resides in the hearts of those who knew you or loved you....Anything else is contrived at best. What an honor to have shipmates like that old Gunner had. Wonder how far they came for that several minutes of honor they paid him, standing in the bright sun of a wonderful Sunday afternoon. Sometimes life hands you a million dollar unexpected moment. DEX
chiefjoe
Posted 2007-07-16 7:19 AM (#5530 - in reply to #5521)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Visited Arlington National Cemetery today.....

Dex,

Had two ocassions in the last quarter to visit arlington. One shipmate and one friend of an friend. On both instances I paid my respects to the beautiful blond we knew.

They don't come any better.

Joe P
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-07-16 8:05 AM (#5534 - in reply to #5521)

COMSUBBBS

Joe, I opened your post above this morning and it was an IV of pure sunshine. She loved you and Elsie....When we went to ANYTHING connected with submarines, she would ask..."Do you think Joe and Elsie will be there?" During that SIRAGO REUNION dinner cruise, you made her laugh so much her sides hurt....I don't think she ever laughed so much in such a short time in our entire 40 years of marriage. One thing about gentle little Solveig...she could recognize a truly good person, damn near instantly. Thanks for being such a great, loyal shipmate...DEX
chiefjoe
Posted 2007-07-16 8:18 AM (#5535 - in reply to #5521)
Senior Crew

I am so sorry. Dex this is a different Joe P.

Didn't mean to mislead you. (Joe with the wife and the other wife).

Joe P
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-07-16 8:58 AM (#5536 - in reply to #5521)

COMSUBBBS

Joe, My sincere apology, but you to qualify to fit the same description...After she died you and your "two wives" (You'll have to explain that one)...You three wonderful people did more for me than anyone else. You sir, are one of the most caring and compassionate people on the planet...If there was a Gary "Cowboy"MacLaughlin Shipmate Award....You'd qualify. How's your health? I've read that THIS IS YOUR NAVY book, twice since you sent it....I wish that the Navy and the Naval Institute could team up once more to put a copy of that book in every "boot grad's" hands when they graduated and headed to the fleet. I visit the Metric Built Blonde every chance I get...when I'm in close proximity to her, I think far clearer and feel a comfort I never feel in other locations. Take it easy and thanks for that wonderful post. Sorry to misdirect the expression of appreciation. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software