Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Fleet Admiral Halsey in a book called "The Admirals" when asked "What is the ultimate strategic weapon that is bringing the enemy to its knees? Halsey's reply "If I had to give credit to the instruments and machines that won us the war in the Pacific, I would rank them in this order: SUBMARINES, FIRST; RADAR, SECOND; PLANES, THIRD AND BULLDOZERS FOURTH."
Caspian Flotilla Flex Their Muscles
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2015-10-08 10:25 PM (#76714)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Caspian Flotilla Flex Their Muscles

The 7th October launch of 26 missiles against Syrian targets by Russian warships must have had all non-nautical types running to their computers to Google where the Caspian Sea was located.

Must admit my first reaction was to research the Volga-Don Canal to find its maximum draft depth in its locks system is only 11ft so I had initial doubts that the Gepard Class frigates reported as conducting the launches and all drawing 17ft draft could have done so. But the fact emerged that there are indeed two of these frigates based with the Caspian Flotilla, so how did they transit the limited canal lock depths from the Zelenodolsk shipyard on the lower Volga River after their builds? I can only presume they were transported by towed barges to their Caspian base after sea trials had been completed .

I see that the Flotilla also has at its disposal six Buyan M-Class corvettes, general purpose patrol vessels that might have been designed with the Caspian and the canal restrictions in mind as their draft is only 7 feet. They have the necessary armament with the long range version of the Klub missile that can hit targets 1550 miles away. Seems that four of the missiles fired fell into Iranian and Iraqi territory with no collateral deaths or damage being reported as yet from those two countries.

Without getting into the politics but rather the reality of the current situation it has to be cause for concern. Syrian airspace is now full of numerous combat aircraft from the alliance air forces flying so many sorties and now those of Russia, who seem to have a different agenda and mission statement. One or two aerial incidents or shooting down accidents could well trigger off a much larger conflict that no one in their right mind would want.

https://www.rt.com/news/317864-russian-warships-missiles-launch/

Pedro
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2015-10-09 8:44 AM (#76715 - in reply to #76714)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Caspian Flotilla Flex Their Muscles

When I was in Russia the first time - 1994, it was on one of those river cruises advertised on TV. The XO of the ship explained to me that during the Stalin era, and subsequently, the lakes/rivers/canals were all dredged so that a ship of the Baltic fleet could transit all the way to the Black Sea. The locks were built to accommodate all but the largest warships. There was a system of river navigation set up so that, if followed correctly, none would run aground.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software