Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
The Lost Art of Gundecking
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-03 8:53 PM (#6101)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The Lost Art of Gundecking

Looking back there are a number of lost arts...Heiroglyphic limerick writing...Chastity Belt fabrication...hand forged hog snout ring production....the making of muzzle loading cannon ramrods...and GUNDECKING...."What is gundecking?" the modern techno-bluejacket asks. The Navy sprung bulls**t, of no consequence inspections on submarines to check meaningless logs...many of which had lost their legitimacy, purpose and meaning many many moons prior to many of the dates contained therein. Thus in the two days prior to such an inspection, the master gundeckers assembled with a stack of brand new logs...pens, pencils, and various secret ingredients that would allow brand new logbooks to be converted to worn dinged up, appearing authentic logs resembling the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Last Supper tablecloth. I was an "antiqu'ker"...That's a guy who can take a new log, and by adding rubbed in air filter dust, coffee cup rings....Pall Mall burns, just the right touch of cosmolene, 3 in 1 oil, Krispie-Kreme grease and water stains can convert a logbook into something that could be mistaken for Robin Hoods bank account register. Senior Petty Officers would take turns making creative writing entries in various pen inks, lead pencil chicken scratch and open vein blood tracks. Most inspectors were surprised to find out how well SubRon Six logs were maintained. Gundecking was horsesh-t distribution at its' most sublime level. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-04 10:21 AM (#6112 - in reply to #6101)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Nobody GUNDECKS anymore??

WOW....Naval personnel no longer GUNDECK?....Stand by...END of World approaching....DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-08-04 6:51 PM (#6139 - in reply to #6101)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: The Lost Art of Gundecking

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you mean to sit there and state that us DB sailors lied???????????? What is this world turning into? Why, I can't believe such a thing. Shirley, you must be talking about the Canadians or Agentinys.
Dex must have been out in the sun to long today or the smothered and covered at the Waldorf Waffle House was tainted.
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-05 9:17 AM (#6157 - in reply to #6101)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, Come to thinkof it, that's another thing wrong with Wadorf...NO DAMN WAFFLE HOUSE. Can you imagine a place with a three lane constant flow of eighteen wheelers, RV's, carloads of race track betters....covered truck loads of illegal Mexicans...beach goers...Yankees returning home frrom Myrtle Beach and twenty mile long military convoys, NOT HAVING A DAMN WAFFLE HOUSE? I mean Flyspeck, South Carolina has two. What the hells wrong with Waldorf?...my guess is that locating prospective employees who understand the rudimentary concepts of personal hygene and the art of cleaning under your fingernails, makes Waffle House staffing damn near impossible. Ralph, if you have any influence with the executive operatives at "WH" how about talking them into building one here. Considering all the greasy spoons, fast food joints and socially unexceptable dining facilitiesm WH visitation would be considered formal dining. Besides....After midnight there's no damn place to get a cup of coffee except some machine that takes quarters in return for a really thin styrofoam cup of humming bird pee...The machine is in a covered shed next to the ladies room at the Maryland Welcome and Visitors Center. There is no bigger WAFFLE HOUSE fan than me....I love the 2AM roundtable discussions on U.S. foriegn policy and local population "worthwhile discussing" tit inventory...and those blue metal tricky contraptions that slam shut before you realize that the USA TODAY you just lost seventy five cents buying is TWO DAMN DAYS OLD. When I die, I hope that the afterlife is one great big trip to the Waffle House...DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-08-05 11:12 AM (#6162 - in reply to #6101)
COMSUBBBS

NO WAFFLE HOUSE IN WALDORF, YET???? The Manager of the one at I-95 and VA 207 told us years ago they were going to build one in Waldorf. Just shows to go ya that there are some down right lying bastards everywhere.
Now, as for gundecking, don't think the Sailors had a lock on that deal. I can remember that some truckers, not me of course, use to run 2 and sometimes 3 logbooks.
Now-a-days the electronic logbooks has put the bite on most falsifying/gundecking. The dog-gone satillites can now shutdown the engine for violations or greatly reduce its power. Just can't have fun on the road anymore.
louverhead
Posted 2007-08-05 11:21 AM (#6163 - in reply to #6101)
Mess cooking

Sometime after 1955, I remember driving Greyhound coach down the trail run from Baltimore to Norfolk and we had a rest stop in Waldorf. Had a hard time getting the sailors back on the bus from those slot machines which were legal at that time. I also ran runs from Richmond, Va. at 0345 to Balt. Travel Plaza and then NYC. We used to come to a stop about Dale City on 95 so I changed my route and started using 301 thru Waldorf.
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-08-05 4:45 PM (#6168 - in reply to #6101)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ralph, Couldn't resist this one....This is honest to God straight dope

Ralph, You would know better than me, but as I understand it, big trucking lines have some device that follows their trucks by sattilite and the home office can get a fix on them whenever they want to see where the truck is. On I-95, just north of Fayetteville, NC...about abeam of Dunn,NC....Theres's a gentlemans establishment called CLUB RISQUE....It's easy to find....for fifty miles either side of the place there are big tin signs with scantily clad ladies proclaiming,"LIVE TOTALLY NUDE DANCERS...STOP AT CLUB RISQUE,____MILES AHEAD, EXIT____. Somehow the parking lot of CLUB RISQUE shows up on these sattilite locator contraptions as Father John's Roadside Chapel and Ministry. (A damn diesel boat sailor has to own that place.) DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-08-05 6:58 PM (#6175 - in reply to #6101)
COMSUBBBS

Ah,ah,ah, not me. I sing in the choir like Blue does. Many major truck lines tend to frown on their drivers stopping at those places. Of course those nasty unkept produce haulers are on their own and frequent those places. Now a few years back before I-95 was finished through Georgia there was this truck stop in Midway, GA that had a bunch of real cute waitress' that would serve-----ah,ah,ah the best coffee-- that's it!!!!!!!!! They served real good coffee and, and--my wife just walked in. Dex, have I ever told you the story about fishing on Lake Marion?
Flapper
Posted 2007-08-06 12:50 PM (#6202 - in reply to #6139)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2007-08-04 5:51 PM

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you mean to sit there and state that us DB sailors lied???????????? What is this world turning into? Why, I can't believe such a thing. Shirley, you must be talking about the Canadians or Agentinys.
Dex must have been out in the sun to long today or the smothered and covered at the Waldorf Waffle House was tainted.

Ralph, I think 'lied' is too strong a term in this case. I mean the guys putting that stuff down knew what the readings would have been if they'd had the time to write them down at the time!

I'd rather describe the practice as 'creative reconstruction'. You know: sort of like Dex's reconstruction of those long ago DBF days of yore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software