Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Elmer & Avis
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Roy Ator
Posted 2007-08-04 8:44 PM (#6147)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Elmer & Avis

This was 1948, Dakota slim and his bride, Avis. The Indian was his pride & joy. The helmet probably didn't provide much protection. Fifty nine year ago!

Posting for Cora & hope this works. I'm in travel & on an old laptop.

Edited by Roy Ator 2007-08-04 9:02 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2007-08-04 10:04 PM (#6148 - in reply to #6147)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Elmer & Avis

Thanx so much, Roy. I thought this might be appropriate since Rapid is experiencing the Invasion of the Motorcycles right now. The Rally is such a Harley-Davidson event, that Slim's little Indian would probably be run out of town.

This picture was taken shortly after my brother was married. From their expressions, you can tell they were having fun on their Indian. (Probably off, too!) They were married for 45 years when Avis died very unexpectedly of a massive coronary.

Elmer was looking at this picture shortly before his death, and laughing at the flimsy "aviator-style" fabric helmets. He said that they would "protect nothing" in the event of an accident. They never had an accident, BTW.

Elmer is probably 24 in this picture, and already a submarine veteran of a "shooting war."
609EM1
Posted 2007-08-06 6:05 PM (#6215 - in reply to #6148)

Senior Crew

Corabelle - 2007-08-04 11:04 PM
The Rally is such a Harley-Davidson event, that Slim's little Indian would probably be run out of town.

If somebody showed up at "The Rally" with a vintage Indian motorcycle like "Slim's little Indian" he or she would be the center of attention and would have a hard time leaving town because of the crowd admiring that motorcycle.That wasn't a little motorcycle....Indians were as big or maybe even slightly bigger than a Harley-Davidson.

It would be the same as showing up at a submarine rally with the Holland or Hunley.

Edited by 609EM1 2007-08-06 6:35 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2007-08-06 7:05 PM (#6218 - in reply to #6215)

COMSUBBBS

"That wasn't a little motorcycle. Indians were as big, or slightly bigger, than a Harley-Davidson."

I didn't know that, Don. I can't hardly remember what it looked like. I was pretty certain that it was an Indian Chief, and I did know that they were larger than most other Indians. His daughter did tell me that the back of the picture is labeled "1948," so it was the year they were married.

I went to my first rally with Elmer and Avis back in 1988. Of course we did drive a car to Sturgis and walked around looking at all the unique bikes, and unique-er people. I'll never forget one man that had pierced nipples with a chain strung between them. I'll bet his wife and/or girlfriend had no problem at all leading him where she wanted him to go.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software