Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
Diver
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2017-04-15 11:36 AM (#82835)
Master and Commander

Subject: Diver

I remember in '67 or '68 the Pickerel had no diver, as did a lot of smoke boats at Pearl. The base sent out a notification that a diver class would be available on the base to qualify as a diver or something.  The only volunteer we had was a Snipe (J. A, Lane from Houston).  J A was at least a pack a day smoker and pretty good drinker.  I remember him puking his guts out the first few weeks of school.  They ran a lot of miles daily - nobody thought Lane could  do it, but he did.  Fifty years later I sit here wondering why I didn't take advantage of the wonderful opportunity  --  too lazy, too stupid with a jogging range of two blocks.

This was way before Jaws, but Pearl and Hawaii had no shortage of sharks,  I remember exercises off Maui, and a practice acoustic torpedo hit us even though we stayed below 100 feet and it was programmed to stay above 100 feet.  We came to dead stop and were going to send Lane over the side to investigate.  We didn't have radio contact with copter just then, but the crew kept was waving at us and closing their hands to stretching their arms as wide as possible.  When contact was restored they said they were trying to tell us we had a 20 foot shark off the stern.

Does anybody remember what the classes were like.  I remember them starting very very early, but I don't remember how long.  At least at Pearl freezing cold mornings would not be the problem that attendees in New London might have.  Did boat divers get a certificate or something?

Edited by Gil 2017-04-15 11:51 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-04-15 1:19 PM (#82836 - in reply to #82835)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Diver

I went to Underwater Swimmer School in Key West back in '66. A lot of PT from before daylight and running in the sand with scuba gear on our backs.
During the week we were taken out from the beach in "Mike" boats and had to swim back to shore. I forget the distance but it was a long way. We did this with just swim trunks a foot fins. After the 2nd week we did scuba underwater using a compass. If your head popped up you were disqualified.
The first Friday we ran 1 mile in and around Key West. The 2nd week we ran 5 miles. I had just quit smoking prior to reporting to the school and it was a good thing but I still thought I was going to die on that first 5 mile run.
We did get certified as "Open Water" scuba diver. I think the class ran for 6 weeks. CRS comes into play the year or so.
I continued scuba diving up until a few years ago. Really did enjoy it doing spear fishing off of Charleston and doing dives all over the Caribbean.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-04-15 1:38 PM (#82837 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

I can still hear the chant. Wanna Be, Wanna Be, Gotta Be Diver, Diver, Diver running up and down the steps to to the Acey Ducy at New London. Plus the loop was run each and every day. Lots of physical work, but classroom also. The Nukes did best in the class because we were used to classroom work and taking tests and it counted more than the physical part. Was at Key West once and got to swim the underwater course with compass through the sewer pipes. One guy met a Nurse shark, they say, in the pipe and both managed to turn around and leave the way they entered. There were tales of towing guys behind Mikes on planer boards and getting Longostino. (Florida Lobster) We did see a movie of them towing the guys taken from a helicopter. There are four sharks following, like fish fixing to hit a lure. Nothing happened. I also heard about a big grouper at the pier that was a pet, and guys took pictures hand feeding it. Was interesting that we had to keep our shoes shined and uniform spiffy for class.
Ric
Posted 2017-04-15 5:28 PM (#82839 - in reply to #82835)

Plankowner

We had a guy on Flasher, Jimmy Spear, who did the class in 67 I think. To qualify they had a night compass dive in Pearl. Had to go point to point and punch cards or something. Had another diver too but can't remember who.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-04-15 5:45 PM (#82840 - in reply to #82835)

COMSUBBBS

Diver on USS Tusk 72-73

(george anderson tm2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments george anderson tm2.jpg (178KB - 574 downloads)
Gil
Posted 2017-04-15 8:26 PM (#82843 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

I think six weeks sounds about right, and running seemed to be the main exercise.  I had assumed divers on the east coast went to Ft Pierce for training, but that was originally UDT and later Seal training.  I got a chance to squeeze in the museum there in the 90's during a business trip to lower Florida - it was worth the detour.  Training there must have ended in the 70's, and I guess was only Seals.
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-05-04 2:23 PM (#83970 - in reply to #82835)

Admin

Went thru scuba school in 78 at New London.  Four weeks at least as I recall and it was NOT just running - I partially tore both triceps on the 3rd or 4th day from all the $&%# push-ups and struggled the rest of the way.  Attrition rate was 49-50% and we met that standard.  My roommate was a UDT guy who needed to re-do some scuba skills and he didn't make it through harassment in the pool     Here's the card I received:

On graduation day we killed a keg at the Marine EM Club and went into town - not a good idea - let's just leave it at that
Gil
Posted 2017-05-04 2:47 PM (#83973 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

The only thing I was capable of was killing the keg!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-05-04 5:17 PM (#83976 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

How did you get away with the beard? We were clean shaven in 71. As a point of order, I meant a requirement for Dive School Class. Spit shined shoes just like Boot Camp. Seemed to be another attempt to break our will just a little, or to see how much we wanted it according to Chief Poole. 

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2017-05-05 4:41 AM
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-05-04 6:35 PM (#83977 - in reply to #83976)

Great Sage of the Sea

I think he said 1978. I retired in '75 and had a beard & mustache then.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-05-04 6:58 PM (#83978 - in reply to #82835)

COMSUBBBS

In from 71-75, beards were OK

(USS TUSK DECOMMISSIONING CREW.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments USS TUSK DECOMMISSIONING CREW.jpg (184KB - 572 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2017-05-04 9:14 PM (#83980 - in reply to #83978)

Plankowner

Even before that beards and mustaches were OK if you had your CO's permission and it was on your ID card. When I was in (1964 to 70) no one cared if you had a mustache or not, beards were trifle trickier but not impossible.
MAD DOG
Posted 2017-05-05 3:59 AM (#83982 - in reply to #83980)

Master and Commander

I made several usuccessful attempts to buy,beg,dorrow or steal a t shirt from the Subbase Pearl diving locker that said "Don.t tell my Mother I'm a Navy diver. She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse".
Gil
Posted 2017-05-05 7:12 PM (#83985 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

I know we were allowed beards during Westpac, I don't remember if we had to cut them when we got back to Pearl.  I was the barber during our Westpac, and I never sheared a beard, hell I only did about ten haircuts at four bits a sitting, a buck and a half for a coke and a haircut.  They made me give four bits to the rec fund to pay off my barber equipment.

I thought that Admiral Zumwalt was the reason skimmers could have mustaches.  I seem to remember that because being on a smokeboat we already had them when that came out.  Did glowboats allow stashes and beards as a rule before Zumwalt, or did it vary from boat to boat.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-05-05 8:54 PM (#83988 - in reply to #83985)

Master and Commander

On my Minesweep THEY (I was still in peachfuzz) grew beards, mustaches and even long hair. It was anything goes while at sea, but the day before we entered port, the beards and mustaches had to be either shaved or neatly trimmed. For haircuts, the crew assembled on the pier and we marched (or took a base bus) en-masse to the barbershop. This avoided being harassed by the base SPs, who relished writing everyone up as the ENTERED the barbershop. Heck, when it was the CO who was first in marching or off the bus, the SPs left us alone.

But I do remember some directive from on high about the conflict of beards/mustaches with the seal on the OBA's.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2017-05-05 8:55 PM
Pig
Posted 2017-05-05 9:03 PM (#83989 - in reply to #82835)
Plankowner

I had a beard when I reported to New London boats in February 1968; Tench, then Entemedor, and still had it when I left Tusk July 2, 1972
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-05-08 8:32 AM (#84007 - in reply to #83976)

Admin

Walt - I don't recall getting that photo taken.  I was clean-shaven as was everyone else in the class.  If I recall, we got the cards and had photos/lamination done back on the tender.   I honestly can't remember for sure anymore
Ric
Posted 2017-05-08 10:21 AM (#84008 - in reply to #83982)

Plankowner

I seem to remember hearing about that shirt. Hadn't thought about it until now. Maybe one of the guys who qualified as a diver on the boat at Pearl told me about it. Can't remember.
Gil
Posted 2017-05-09 11:12 PM (#84018 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

Anybody know a Michael Jensen from Divers school?  He's about 70, and we were talking about his Navy time.  He went to the Diver's school in Key West. He was in the Nam era and spent quite a bit of time in country and then went to a carrier.  i met he and his wife at our lunchtime get together for food and brew.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-05-10 2:25 AM (#84019 - in reply to #82835)
Master and Commander

Sorry, but New London once and a requal at Key West in a mostly Force Recon Marine Class. These days I have a hard time remembering my Grand kids.
Don Gentry
Posted 2017-05-10 3:20 PM (#84025 - in reply to #84019)

Admin

I mostly hung out with the Force Recon guys after class - lots of fun.  Bailed one of them out of the klink on the night before graduation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software