Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS R-6 was fitted the first prototype US submarine snorkel at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the closing months of the European part of WW II in April / May 1945 and successfully tested it off Fort Lauderdale, Fl. as the war against Japan ended in August 1945. The snorkel was removed from the USS R-6 and she was decommissioned and scrapped in September 1945.
USAA Insurance????
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2017-04-18 11:16 AM (#82856)

Plankowner

Subject: USAA Insurance????

Anyone with this outfit? Sounds like a scam to me. Won't even talk to me with out joining first!!!
geno
Posted 2017-04-18 11:57 AM (#82857 - in reply to #82856)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: USAA Insurance????

I have never been involved. I remember asking once and was told (rightly or wrongly) that they only take officers. Maybe at the time it was like American Express. As a 2nd class on recruiting duty I couldn't get one because I didn't make enough money. Could have been the same with USAA. So I never even thought about them. Good luck, insurance on it's own can be weird/hard.
steamboat
Posted 2017-04-18 1:08 PM (#82859 - in reply to #82856)
Master and Commander

Yes USAA was originally open only to military officers and their dependents. But they have since opened it to all military and veterans. (Sorta like GEICO was originally open only to government employees.) This does not answer your question, though.

Steamboat sends
hdgiles
Posted 2017-04-18 2:34 PM (#82860 - in reply to #82856)
Mess cooking

I've been with USAA since 1974. I have all my insurance with them except a boat and a mobile home. They are a fine company as far as I'm concerned. Hope this helps.

Dan

SSBN 623,630,633,640
Ric
Posted 2017-04-18 3:02 PM (#82861 - in reply to #82860)

Plankowner

They won't even talk to me with out joining up. Why should I do that until I would know they meet my needs and want to deal with them at all.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-04-18 3:30 PM (#82862 - in reply to #82856)

COMSUBBBS

Ric - 2017-04-18 1:16 PMSounds like a scam to me. Won't even talk to me with out joining first!!!

It's always good to go with first instinct.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2017-04-18 6:16 PM (#82863 - in reply to #82856)

Great Sage of the Sea

I've been with them since the mid 60s. It was a pretty good deal at first, since the membership requirements kept the frivolous claims down. Since its been open to everyone who's worn a uniform (and some who haven't), my premiums have gone up, and sevice has gone down.
The one single upside, at least for me, is that while I was still working I was able to fund a TSA with a guaranteed annual return of 4.5%.
Don't find those numbers anymore.
Gil
Posted 2017-04-18 7:17 PM (#82864 - in reply to #82856)
Master and Commander

I've been with them for nearly four years.  I joined them when I contemplated buying a new car and and that dropped $3K off my price to begin dealer, negotiations.  I bought the car,  dropped State Farm, and put my house, rental condo, and car on USAA.  Ialso added their credit card.

I don't know about signing up to talk to them.   Customer Service had and has been great with them.  Every time I talk to them I want to get the same person back, but so far they are all fantastic.  If you're saying you can't get a quote until you join then something is wrong.

I told them all my insurance policies, most are standard, and they quoted me a price individually  and as a package.   Then they suggested better coverage on my car, and why I might need that.  I went for better coverage after the explanation - their better coverage was still lower than my old lesser coverage with State Farm. 

In the last 3 1/2 years I've had an accident with my car, and a claim filed by a renter of my condo.  Both were handled  hassle free for me.  As a result,  although I should,  I don't shop around.

Edited by Gil 2017-04-18 7:23 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2017-04-19 1:08 AM (#82865 - in reply to #82861)
COMSUBBBS

Ric, if you aren't happy with there response why fool with them? There are many other good and interested companies out there
steamboat
Posted 2017-04-19 6:07 AM (#82866 - in reply to #82856)
Master and Commander

To me, the most important thing about insurance is how well they service and pay out on claims. Yes, you can get cheap insurance, but you have to look at the payout history above the monthly bill. I have been with a certain main-stream company for over 50 years, and my father was with them for about that same amount of time. They have always treated me very well, on both small claims and large and have never raised my rates as a result of claims. That being said, I have always had very good local agents, which is a big part of your association with the company.

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2017-04-19 8:09 AM (#82867 - in reply to #82865)

Plankowner

Why do you think I'm asking Ralph?
Gil
Posted 2017-04-19 10:20 AM (#82868 - in reply to #82856)
Master and Commander

Ric,
I have a friend that was looking to quote USAA for his insurance needs.   Next time I talked to him I asked him how it went.  He said not very good and I asked him why.  He got pissed because a live person talked to him.  He doesn't want a live person, he likes dealing with automated phone props.
Ric
Posted 2017-04-19 10:40 AM (#82869 - in reply to #82868)

Plankowner

I got a live person and she was pretty rude about it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software