Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "He is the Submarine Sailor who served in silence, but in his silence, has heard the laughter of future generations.” -- Glenn Harris
Changing My Musical Attitude
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2017-07-28 6:52 AM (#84538)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Changing My Musical Attitude

The granddaughters favourite pop stars range from Aria Grande for the younger set whilst the older ones tend to favour Christina Aguilera, Kate Perry, Lady Gaga et al. Obviously these preferences have moved with the trends and different stars over time; but this hasn't stopped them trying to win me over to their current singing heroines. They were fighting a losing battle with me until I received this link of said Christina in action from one of them.

Wow! I have to say this one hit the spot and blew me away. This is The Andrews Sisters, Betty Grable and Rosie the Riveter all rolled into one great number. Ms Aguilera has talent and beauty to spare while she sports different hair colouring, so take your pick from blonde, brunette and redhead. I shall never speak ill of the kids pop divas again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScjucUV8v0

Pedro
Runner485
Posted 2017-07-28 7:08 AM (#84539 - in reply to #84538)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Changing My Musical Attitude

Personally like GaGa. You ever see her do a duet with Tony Bennett? Fantastic!
AtoZ
Posted 2017-07-28 8:28 AM (#84541 - in reply to #84538)

Great Sage of the Sea

Personally, my favorite ignoring the giants, Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, is Annie Ross. Here's three representative of her 70+ year career. All these tracks are available on Youtube. First there's this: search "Annie Ross 20 years before" {a little kid on a Little Rascals movie clip}, then "Annie Ross Twisted", there are a number of clips of this tune, my favorite is the B&W from the 50's with her singing at some kind of party {PS Count Basie is playing piano and Tony Bennet is sitting in the background}. then "One Meat Ball" in color with her around 80 at the Metropolitan Club NYC where she still works about very Tuesday.

Enjoy
Ric
Posted 2017-07-28 9:07 AM (#84542 - in reply to #84538)

Plankowner

Interesting and not bad though my mind is having a hard time putting the music to the WWII "stylings". My mind keeps wanting to hear Glen Miller. Might be getting a tad old......Thanx Pedro
GaryKC
Posted 2017-07-28 12:47 PM (#84543 - in reply to #84538)

COMSUBBBS

My musical tastes have fluctuated through life, a far as girl singers go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpoP4YSFKGA 
Tom Conlon
Posted 2017-07-28 8:18 PM (#84550 - in reply to #84538)
Old Salt

I've seen her videos with Tony Bennett as well as some of her more "outlandish" stuff. IMO, she's *very* talented. Every act needs a "gimmick" to be noticed. and she does get noticed.

She's also a graduate of Julliard, so she has some serious chops.
Pedro
Posted 2017-07-29 7:25 AM (#84551 - in reply to #84550)

COMSUBBBS

Lady GaGa; I must admit that I omitted my liking of her on my post. Her duets with Tony Bennett are excellent to be sure. I received their "Cheek by Cheek" CD from Andrea, one of my grand daughters, for my birthday a couple of years ago and I play it quite a lot. Tony has always been a favourite of mine; his collaborations with a younger female singers like GaGa shows his smooth non-egotistical style in recording old standards and giving them a breath of fresh air with new talent. If she ever gives up her pop image she would be a great jazz singer. Nice track of the two below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAmDULCVrU

Pedro
MAD DOG
Posted 2017-07-30 5:35 AM (#84555 - in reply to #84551)

Master and Commander

Nice track Pedro.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software