Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
New York Raises Price of Cigarettes to $13 pack
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-08-29 1:55 PM (#84878)
Master and Commander

Subject: New York Raises Price of Cigarettes to $13 pack

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/08/29/nyc-hikes-price-pack-cigarettes-to-13-highest-in-us.html

How many of you remember sea store cigarettes at 5 to 20 cents a pack? Happy Hours at enlisted clubs with Bud at 10 cent a can? Plus a steak in the Acey Ducy at Denoun enlisted club for $1, and it was good, with a baked potato and salad. I remember the Captain handing me a fifty and telling me to take M-Div off watch over and returning most of the money because we couldn't eat or drink anymore. Admittedly there were only six of us. Prices and times they have changed. 
Ric
Posted 2017-08-29 5:29 PM (#84881 - in reply to #84878)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: New York Raises Price of Cigarettes to $13 pack

Sea store smokes 10 cents a pack in the mid '60's. Kobe beef dinner at Club Alliance in Yokusuka for a few "dollars" script. $1.25 a bottle for any hard liqueur you wanted to buy. Best to the worst same price. 25 cent gasoline. Those were the days.
mike652
Posted 2017-08-29 6:32 PM (#84882 - in reply to #84881)
Great Sage of the Sea

Ric - 2017-08-29 8:29 PM
Those were the days.

And what was your monthly pay?
mike652
Posted 2017-08-29 6:34 PM (#84883 - in reply to #84878)
Great Sage of the Sea

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2017-08-29 4:55 PM
Prices and times they have changed. 

Pay has changed as well.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2017-08-29 6:56 PM (#84884 - in reply to #84883)

Master and Commander

The Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia raised the tax on ciggies by $2./pack, then legalized marijuana for recreational use. What does that say to the kids?
Pedro
Posted 2017-08-29 6:58 PM (#84885 - in reply to #84878)

COMSUBBBS

A 50 gram ( 2 oz) pack of rolling tobacco bought legally (i.e. not on the cheaper black market) costs £20 ($ 25.85) which is close to what NY is proposing as it equates to roughly 2 x packs of cigarettes.

One would think for that kind of money you could reasonably expect to find your product decently presented and packaged. Instead all cigarette/tobacco products now come packaged in a bilious shade of green. accompanied by multiple photos of diseased organs and numerous text warnings of the dangers of smoking. In the case of the tobacco this takes up 98% of the total surface area of the large pouch. The tiny 2% left finally, and almost reluctantly, displays the brand of the tobacco. You could easily miss it if you were slightly visually impaired or had left your reading glasses at home.

This causes problems for the vendor in identifying the brand you asked for, as they all now look the same, also for the customer in establishing it was what they requested. I doubt these over-the-top tactics actively encourage anyone to quit the habit or that they will even discourage new smokers. If the above blanket warning is mandatory on tobacco products, then why doesn't it apply to bottles of spirits, wines, beers etc which if not responsibly consumed can cause liver disease, BP problems and alcoholic addiction /dependence? I am not talking about the small insert on bottles and cans that currently advises daily intake units. I am talking about fully festooning the above bottles/cans with a uniform garish colour, photos, and cautionary warning texts written large as they are on tobacco.

Such a move would go down like a lead balloon in supermarkets, restaurants, pubs and the House of Commons bars which seems to be the only workplace left in the UK where you can drink alcohol and smoke at work without getting fired. Politicians get away with this by insisting it is a palace and is therefore exempt from the rules of places of work. How very convenient, the old do as I say, not what I do routine, if you catch my drift. So, if by a miracle, smoking were to cease overnight, would the rabid anti-smoking lobbyists be prepared tomorrow for the hefty income tax hikes required to make up for the shortfall in highly lucrative tobacco revenues? I very much doubt that they would. I heard about some of these loonies in London who want to eradicate Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir Francis Drake from the history books and destroy their monuments because they brought tobacco into Merry Old England. These are the kind of deranged radicals we are all dealing with at present given the NY mayors desire to disparage Christopher Columbus by removing his statue in Columbus Circle in NYC.

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2017-08-29 7:17 PM
Ric
Posted 2017-08-29 7:23 PM (#84886 - in reply to #84882)

Plankowner

$125.00 I was rolling in it!!!
GaryKC
Posted 2017-08-29 7:40 PM (#84887 - in reply to #84878)

COMSUBBBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJoKhO9G1g
Gil
Posted 2017-08-29 8:03 PM (#84888 - in reply to #84881)
Master and Commander

Ric - 2017-08-29 5:29 PMSea store smokes 10 cents a pack in the mid '60's. Kobe beef dinner at Club Alliance in Yokusuka for a few "dollars" script. $1.25 a bottle for any hard liqueur you wanted to buy. Best to the worst same price. 25 cent gasoline. Those were the days.

I remember going into that club with my Yoko Sweetie of the day.  She was only looking forward to playing the slot machines with my money.  The Kobe steak was $8 in '68, and stupid me didn't think a steak dinner could ever be that expensive.  There are places in downtown LA where it's $100 an ounce.  To this day I've never sampled it.  I do remember the girls did like drinking champagne in the club and the service.  My faded memory is pretty bad but I remember Kobe steak being that high.  I think regular steaks were two or three dollars there, and I had no idea what an $8 steak was.

360 Yenzies to the dollar and cabs were 90 or 100 yen depending on size for the initial 1/4 mile segment or so.  The New Yokuska bar was 500 yen for a set up.  I remember how rich I felt when I cashed $20 MPC and stuffed 7200 yen into my wallet.  Me and my buddy both ran out of money at the same time the first night.  Our former sweeties knew the instance that had happened and also knew we were both broke.  They had switched to stealth and took up new locations at the entrance awaiting new Kitty Hawk guppies to enter.  We had been a major surprise because they had detected the over powering aroma of diesel and the extra money a sensegan sailor meant

I'd buy a bottle of Seagram 7, and a large 7 up for under $2 to enter "our" bar.  The first two times I never finished the Seagram, then I convinced myself if I drank it all I wouldn't have to pay a setup for an almost empty bottlenext visit.  We never though much about food as the bar served seaweed and rice.  If you weren't broke your sweetie would even serve it to you.

Every time we converted from Yen to MPC and vice versa the bar ripped us off, but we were oblivious to it.  In my teens I had visited Tijuana, I knew my way around sleaze bars - wrong I was no match for a bar girl Josan with eyes on my wallet.

Those were the days my friends.  As Dex would say, "punching holes in the ocean, and thinking we were indestructible.  The girls would serenade us with Yellow Submarine and their pronunciation Herrow Goodbye in between requests for us to buy them Honda motorcycles

Edited by Gil 2017-08-29 8:14 PM
Holland Club
Posted 2017-08-29 9:14 PM (#84889 - in reply to #84878)

Master and Commander

Yep. Sea store cigs @ 80 cents a carton, early 50's.

Payday when I shipped for 6 in 1955 as E-5 + seapay= $152.88/month.
Ron
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-08-30 3:39 AM (#84893 - in reply to #84878)
Master and Commander

I do not remember pay amounts except that sub pay was what qualified me to borrow from the New London Credit Union to buy a car.

Even in the early 1970's, smokes were $1.10 per carton, on the tender, if you were stocking up to deploy for patrol; other wise, they were $2.20 per carton on base when in port.

Runner485
Posted 2017-08-31 10:37 AM (#84909 - in reply to #84878)

COMSUBBBS

1962- Seastores were $1.00 a carton, non filter. Filters cost an additional .10 per carton. With sub pay at e4 I made $58.00 every two weeks. My wife got the rest.
I really don't know how the brown baggers did it, what with rent, food, kids, etc. I lived in the barracks for 3 years,so my pay went pretty far.

Tom Conlon
Posted 2017-08-31 5:00 PM (#84914 - in reply to #84878)
Old Salt

IIRC, when I was on James K Polk and Francis Scott Key ('67 - '72), cigarettes were $.25/pack at the Navy Exchange. I don't remember what the price was for "Sea Stores" on the tender in Spain/Scotland. I didn't smoke (still don't) so I wasn't all that cognizant of pricing.

Now at $13/pack it's become a pretty expensive habit. My Sister-in-Law buys a carton/week as does her son. I don't know what the per pack price is here in NJ but I know it's substantial. That's gotta be around $100/week (or more) literally "up in smoke."

WRT pay, I don't recall what E4, later E5 base pay was, but I was over 4 years, so it was pretty good for the time. Add in Sub pay ($65/month?), "pro" pay ($100/month I think) and a couple other small "add on's" and I was making some pretty good money for the time.
GaryKC
Posted 2017-08-31 5:32 PM (#84915 - in reply to #84878)

COMSUBBBS

Another one I had to look up.....whippersnappers and their techno speak 

(2017-08-31_192930.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2017-08-31_192930.jpg (10KB - 588 downloads)
Tom Conlon
Posted 2017-08-31 5:44 PM (#84916 - in reply to #84878)
Old Salt

LOL, Gary.
PaulR
Posted 2017-08-31 6:54 PM (#84917 - in reply to #84915)

Master and Commander

GaryKC - 2017-08-31 8:32 PMAnother one I had to look up.....whippersnappers and their techno speak 

SMH
rover177
Posted 2017-08-31 10:38 PM (#84920 - in reply to #84878)
Master and Commander

Governments - National, State and Local can make a lot of money on alcohol and tobacco taxes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software