Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
The most boring job in the world
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2017-09-25 3:14 PM (#85189)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: The most boring job in the world

Summer of 67, sat in this tower all day looking for smoke
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaibab/recarea/?recid=11695
http://www.annestravels.net/grandview-lookout-tower/

And five of us young men lived here, about 1/2 mile from the tower. Looks like they fixed it up
https://www.arizonahighways.com/eat-sleep/lodging/hull-cabin
geno
Posted 2017-09-25 3:38 PM (#85190 - in reply to #85189)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: The most boring job in the world

Truly good training for the boats, close quarters and all. We had fires, just not forest fires.
JohnBay
Posted 2017-09-25 6:43 PM (#85193 - in reply to #85189)
Great Sage of the Sea

Did that for three years, and NOT boring! Visitors all the time, and up to 30 fires a day was common. Wish /I could still make the 80 foot climb up to the cabin! The local fire departments would visit with cases of libations. Great days!
steamboat
Posted 2017-09-26 5:11 AM (#85197 - in reply to #85189)
Master and Commander

I had similar experiences, though not in fire towers. First was living in cabin on Grand Sable Lake near Grand Marais, Mich, while Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was going through land accession phase. I was only Park Ranger there , 60 miles from Park HQ, no radio or phone. I went to town 5 miles away each morning and called in on pay phone.
Second was working for US Forest Service with Biologist studying wild turkeys. We stayed in very remote cabin on Monongahela NF, tracking turkeys in snow. Got snowed in once for a week. No electricity, water or phone. Loved it!!
Those were the days!

Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2017-09-26 7:32 AM
fortyrod
Posted 2017-09-27 6:16 AM (#85203 - in reply to #85193)
Great Sage of the Sea

JohnBay - 2017-09-25 6:43 PM
Did that for three years, Visitors all the time, and up to 30 fires a day was common. The local fire departments would visit with cases of libations. Great days!

Hhhmmm ? 30 fires a day??, Maine is toast, Where was the tower? In a state campground. You sure you weren't see campfires? Out in Kaibab National Forest I never seen one visitor coming down a rutted forest service road, let alone a fire truck. Never seen any smoke or fires.
Pedro
Posted 2017-09-27 10:50 AM (#85204 - in reply to #85203)

COMSUBBBS

Reading your descriptions I would not have minded a job so close to nature at all. When I left the RN after 22 years, I was influenced by local WWII submarine vets who worked there to apply for a job at the Ford car plant at Halewood in Liverpool. In addition to joining an alien civilian society it was the worst decision I ever made; it had to be the most boring mind-numbing job in the world. I worked in Commercial Gears which was considered a prime job at the plant, hobbing, linishing and polishing gears for truck gearboxes. I worked alongside some of the most negative and lazy buggers imaginable. Luckily, after ten months of that automaton BS I was able to escape and get the engineering job that I really wanted.

Pedro
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2017-09-27 12:22 PM (#85206 - in reply to #85189)
Master and Commander

When you had visitors, how many of you explained or demonstrated the use of the five gallon bucket with the lid on it? Or did you walk all those steps? I also under stand the fire towers was where the expression "Don't p--- on my head and tell me it is raining" came from. 
JohnBay
Posted 2017-09-27 1:01 PM (#85207 - in reply to #85203)
Great Sage of the Sea

Hampshire County in the Berkshires. Mostly small fires, but now and then a sq. mile would go up along the tracks. Sparsely populated. Kept me busy!
JohnBay
Posted 2017-09-27 1:02 PM (#85208 - in reply to #85206)
Great Sage of the Sea

Worst day was when the damned window slammed down. I was afraid to open it!
Tom McNulty
Posted 2017-09-28 6:54 AM (#85213 - in reply to #85189)

Master and Commander

I thought the most boring job I had was standing topside mid watch while the boat was in overhaul at EB, during Winter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software