Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Cusk was only one of four US submarines to ever receive the Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation - Gallantry for her service in Vietnam. Cusk, was awarded seven awards during 1965, 1967, 1968, and 1969,The other three boats were the USS Sculpin (SSN-590), the USS Razorback (SS-394), two awards during 1967 and 1969, and the USS Ronquil (SS-396), two awards during 1966-67 and 1968.
We Were Pirates
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2018-01-10 10:51 AM (#87332)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: We Were Pirates

I just finished re-reading the above book by Schultz and Shell about a torpedoman that made 11 successive war patrols on the Tambor. His name is Bob Hunt and he wrote and dictated his war time stories to the authors.

I got the book when it first came out and I wasn't a big fan of it. But I decided to re-read it and I certainly changed my mind because his stories tell of his carousing after each patrol, which I think turned me off for some reason...But I went at it with an open mind and concluded that I would have done the same thing as he did. On one of his patrols the Tambor was depth charged for 17 hours. I just couldn't imagine that...

I recommend this book highly. It was written by an enlisted man who rose to the rank of chief in about 4 1/2 to 5 years. How it made it to chief is another story.

Good book
MAD DOG
Posted 2018-01-11 7:12 AM (#87340 - in reply to #87332)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: We Were Pirates

"his stories tell of his carousing after each patrol, which I think turned me off for some reason"
Turned off by carousing? Really?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software