Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
Engine air start.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Holland Club
Posted 2018-04-08 12:22 PM (#88085)

Master and Commander

Subject: Engine air start.

Forgot to mention, the only way to start a sub's engines was with compressed air or motorizing the generator and spinning the engine electreically, If anyone is looking for a starter motor, there ain't any.

Edited by Holland Club 2018-04-08 12:24 PM
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-04-08 1:23 PM (#88086 - in reply to #88085)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Engine air start.

There was a procedure for doing an airless start on a nuke, but it wasn't any where as involved as those stated. Ain't gonna say what it was because I don't know that I should. I will say that as a result of drills that I think some chimpanzee thought up for ORSE. I was involved once. About like an at sea reactor compartment entry. Something that should not be done for s**ts and giggles. Write a good procedure, prove that it works, and then hope you never have to use it. 
Ric
Posted 2018-04-08 2:45 PM (#88088 - in reply to #88086)

Plankowner

I was in our reactor compartment on several occasions for quals but after the core was installed, never again. I was aware of two entries once we were commissioned but we were dockside and a cold core. That was scary enough for the guys who did it. Water tight doors shut and no access fore or aft through the boat. Found a film badge in my junk a fews back. Brought back memories.
Bob T
Posted 2018-04-08 9:23 PM (#88093 - in reply to #88086)

Senior Crew

Some S5W boats had a DC diesel generator aft; others had an AC diesel generator fwd. I don't think the airless start procedure would work with an AC generator.
oldsubs
Posted 2018-04-09 4:07 AM (#88095 - in reply to #88085)

Historian

Lessee---drag the screw, which spins the main engines (turbines) pulling a suction on the main condenser hotwells boiling the water therin. The turbines compress the boiled (cold) water into the steam lines which is then fed to the ship service turbine generators spinning them providing power to the rod drive motors ---- nahhh == airless reactor start?? Not happening. Now if the electric power is fed to the emergency diesel === Hmmmmm????
Runner485
Posted 2018-04-09 5:58 AM (#88097 - in reply to #88085)

COMSUBBBS

Well it's pretty obvious from all the Ye Olde Snipe types that the airless start was not a good way to start the engines. Too many possibilities of breaking something It's no wonder in my 3 years aboard Sirago we never did one, to my knowledge.
Thank for all the feed back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software